RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
AgentMomo
brutal
Posts: 239

RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:01 pm

OK So I bought the RETRO BIT S VIDEO Cable , and I think my Regular RCA looks a million times better.

I am using an Early Small Flat Screen TV , Bad Cable or do you think my tv must got issues ?

I have used the TV Formats and doing the full screen just blows it up too big lol. 16:9 , Wide Screen etc.

When I use the S VIDEO , I kind of see white dots abit on the SEGA Logo , and I like I said I think my Games are sharper text when I use the old school RCA.


Image

User avatar
mistamontiel
Outrun
Posts: 1188
Contact:

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 pm

Dead. give. away

Never get an "s-vid" that comes with a composhit yellow plug; you get an s-vid cord it'd besta be s-vid alone only

EDIT: I strongly support to have an s-vid secondary Dreamcast setup before VGA for primary, she's the last one the last console that sings on it! Mine's a uhm I think Naki the brand that's made it?

EDIT 2: A flatty mane? Dreamcast is hardcore CRT driven strict boobtube in me eyes

User avatar
Ragfish
fragger
Posts: 259

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#3 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 pm

It might be, but it's hard to say if looking bad on a 16:9 flat-screen is a good enough indicator to tell if the cable is bad, since a lot of the issues you mentioned aren't always the fault of the cable.

As mistamontiel suggested, many s video cables that also have the yellow plug are just composite video coming out of an s video plug, and those suck. Not all of them are like that, but most of them are.

I know retro bit is usually fairly well liked for other stuff so I'd be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but its hard to say without pictures or trying it myself.

AgentMomo
brutal
Posts: 239

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 am

mistamontiel wrote:Dead. give. away

Never get an "s-vid" that comes with a composhit yellow plug; you get an s-vid cord it'd besta be s-vid alone only

EDIT: I strongly support to have an s-vid secondary Dreamcast setup before VGA for primary, she's the last one the last console that sings on it! Mine's a uhm I think Naki the brand that's made it?

EDIT 2: A flatty mane? Dreamcast is hardcore CRT driven strict boobtube in me eyes


That makes 100% sense as people say never use the Yellow and S Plug at the same time ,
Yeah I will have to find one with without the yellow. like you said.

AgentMomo
brutal
Posts: 239

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#5 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:46 pm

LOL , like a crazy man I completely sipped off the yellow thinking it would draw less of a signal , LOL No luck , at least I won't keep plugging in the yellow LOL.

AgentMomo
brutal
Posts: 239

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#6 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Ragfish wrote:It might be, but it's hard to say if looking bad on a 16:9 flat-screen is a good enough indicator to tell if the cable is bad, since a lot of the issues you mentioned aren't always the fault of the cable.

As mistamontiel suggested, many s video cables that also have the yellow plug are just composite video coming out of an s video plug, and those suck. Not all of them are like that, but most of them are.

I know retro bit is usually fairly well liked for other stuff so I'd be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but its hard to say without pictures or trying it myself.


Yeah it's weird , since you pointed that out I think the RCA with S TIP is litterly for shows and doesn't truly give you that S Quality.

I had a cheap China VGA once and it was great just had to put a Single tip on the R AND W because my TV had that being a single input :lol:

But this time I want S VIDEO because that's easier to use on a USB CAPTURE and cheapest of course :lol:

maciver6969
noob
Posts: 4

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm

My television hates RCA so I ordered the hdmi kit - have you tried the multi cord video out amazon had them this summer that had iirc 3 or 4 outputs.

AgentMomo
brutal
Posts: 239

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#8 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 pm

WAIT , HUGE UPDATE HERE.

Snipped and cut out the YELLOW , Which I mentioned before my theory was , their is now no YELLOW TIP drawing a signal which would weaken The S TIP Output Feed ,

But this time I pressed real hard on the S TIP and also the end that goes into the dreamcast itself.

Boom , the white speckles that showed up in the Sega Logos and Character Body parts, The choppiness of the white text is gone.

I also did play with my TV Color Settings too.

User avatar
Ragfish
fragger
Posts: 259

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#9 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:51 am

AgentMomo wrote:WAIT , HUGE UPDATE HERE.

Snipped and cut out the YELLOW , Which I mentioned before my theory was , their is now no YELLOW TIP drawing a signal which would weaken The S TIP Output Feed ,

But this time I pressed real hard on the S TIP and also the end that goes into the dreamcast itself.

Boom , the white speckles that showed up in the Sega Logos and Character Body parts, The choppiness of the white text is gone.

I also did play with my TV Color Settings too.


That's great! Would you say it's an improvement over the standard RCA now that it seems to be fixed?

AgentMomo
brutal
Posts: 239

Re: RETRO BIT S-VIDEO CABLE , Sucks ?

Post#10 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:09 am

YES , I do

the SEGA MENU are Super Glassy and Wet looking now , otherwise it's reminding me when I had VGA.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users