Top 5 Dreamcast Urban Myths

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Cass
MegaDeath

Re: Top 5 Dreamcast Urban Myths

Post#41 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 am

@Ian "Go from 3 games a console to 1 after it was cracked that was the effect of piracy it was the major factor"

Ok it's an average but that looks a devastating figure. Is the Dreamcast possibly then the lowest selling system, percentage wise for retail game sales per unit? I don't remember what bundles were available at retail or if you could just by the unit on its own but it's possible that lots and I mean lots of people could have bought a Dreamcast and never even purchased a game for it.

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#42 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:24 am

Toys R Us did a sale that included Five Games in 2000. I will bring up EA and SquareSoft on why they never supported the Dreamcast. Sega themselves were on a powertrip and burning bridges with many inhouse studios after 2001.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#43 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:05 pm

@ Ian : IMHO you are taking too much shortcuts.

All companies in the video game industry will say the same about piracy. About music, what about tapes or songs you were able to copy or reccord on the radio before CD-R ?

Sega knew in September 2000 (after 1st ECHELON/KALISTO releases) that they would shut down the hardware department. When they announced the end of production in January 2001, I cannot believe that just piracy (within 6 months !) led to this situation.

As for myself, I do not feel responsible for that failure. Dreamcast (with OG XBOX) is the system on which I bought the most games. In comparison, I had 5 games on SNES, 7 on N64 and only 3 originals on PC.
Last edited by CrashMidnick on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#44 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:18 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
dubcity wrote:2. Is it taboo to work with wince libraries as it is to use katana?2. Is it taboo to work with wince libraries as it is to use katana?

when used for non-commercial purposes, you are not in danger
even if you write a commercial game on the official SDK, then no one will sue you, if the current owner of SEGA wanted, he could sue any indie developer, because absolutely everyone uses a piece of code from SEGA

dubcity wrote:4. Would extra 16mb ram help port Naomi titles to Dreamcast in the same way ram upgrade helped Xbox get chihiro arcade games?

to transfer NAOMI 1 games, increasing the system RAM is not enough, it is also necessary to increase the SPU RAM to 8 megabytes and VRAM to 16 megabytes

Like 100% true what megavolt says

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#45 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:19 pm

if the current owner of SEGA wanted, he could sue any indie developer, because absolutely everyone uses a piece of code from SEGA

Still true right now

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#46 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:if the current owner of SEGA wanted, he could sue any indie developer, because absolutely everyone uses a piece of code from SEGA

Still true right now
Cass wrote:
5 We"ll all be disappointed when the Dreamcast mini launches but we'll still end up buying it :p

Said it before the value the Homebrew and Indie developers have added to the Dreamcast brand in the intervening twenty years is considerable and probably quantifiable. It would run into millions. I'm pretty sure that's not lost on whoever is doing the horizon scanning at Sega

Sega couldn't pay a PR agency to generate the positive news coverage and engagement that that the Dreamcast scene has been responsible for.

Whatever the reasons the for the failure of the Dreamcast we can all remember how it felt when Sega pulled the plug. The Dreamcast had lost and it was a failure.

Fast forward twenty years the narrative has changed it's viewed very positively, Sega's glorious last stand, way ahead of its time etc.

Now nostalgia is a powerful factor and the reimagining of how the Dreamcast would be viewed was probably inevitable but nostalgia alone isn't responsible.

A long list of Indie Devs, Homebrew coders and many regulars on this forum have played a role in this. So what I'm saying is when they release the DC mini - you're all partly to blame :p