Dreampi zip add on (custom box thing)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
spinksy
Prince of Persia

Dreampi zip add on (custom box thing)

Post#1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am

This is a little project I've been working on for last couple days, a zip drive look alike with a Dreampi wifi set up inside.

It's a complete add on unit that the Dreamcast attaches onto - plug the modem cable from it into the back of the Dreamcast and plug the micro usb into the back to power the Dreampi then online via wifi you go.

It needs some tidying up - I'm in the process of making a plate to go on the back to tidy it up (hence why a piece of foamex is stuck on at the minute), the side has some old holes in from a previous project idea - these will be filled with a fan guard put on, also the activity led from the Dreampi will be routed to the zip drive led space so when its powered on it'll look better - its bright so at the minute you can see it through the zip drive door lol.

I want to include an hdmi converter into the box too - currently source parts for this. The only other thing I'm working on for it as making a board so I plug the pico psu wire into this add on the a wire goes to the Dreamcast so they're all working off one power lead (rather than the Pi having to be powered by a micro usb at back)
Oh and it has a working usb socket (connected to Pi) at back - also going to fit a usb at front like the zip drive unit had - I really want to get a faulty or cheap karaoke unit to build this into but for now a cut down Dreamcast will suffice lol

this is a pic of me lifting the Dreamcast up with the add on attached, to show the Dreamcast isn't just sitting on top - I made some brackets that the Dreamcast slides onto - same as the karaoke unit.

Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46
name: Predator

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Re: Dreampi zip add on (custom box thing)

Post#2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:58 am

I love the look of that! Pre orders when? :lol:

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:02 am

Nice style! I really like it! I did a similar thing with a external HDD from a mac mini. good idea with the Pi fan and the mounting to the console. Mines just loose and lazy, Think ill fix it up some now, thanks for the inspiration. This is the best way to case the Dreampi !!!
photo_2020-04-21_20-01-31.jpg
photo_2020-04-21_19-34-45.jpg

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 am

It's surprising how much space you need for the Dreampi with usb modem and that - I'm really enjoying making this little project and once done I did think about possibly getting a 3d print done for the case, would be neater and better.

I'll keep working on it and see :)

I NEED to get another karaoke unit and make a proper one like I did years ago.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#5 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:00 pm

spinksy wrote:It's surprising how much space you need for the Dreampi with usb modem and that - I'm really enjoying making this little project and once done I did think about possibly getting a 3d print done for the case, would be neater and better.

I still have your original ZIP Drive mock up since I bought if from you years back.

Keep your eye on Japanese proxy bidding services as karaoke units are really cheap in Japan even with posatge on top it's often way cheaper than they cost over here especially for a non boxed unit.

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 am

runkthepunk wrote:
spinksy wrote:It's surprising how much space you need for the Dreampi with usb modem and that - I'm really enjoying making this little project and once done I did think about possibly getting a 3d print done for the case, would be neater and better.

I still have your original ZIP Drive mock up since I bought if from you years back.

Keep your eye on Japanese proxy bidding services as karaoke units are really cheap in Japan even with posatge on top it's often way cheaper than they cost over here especially for a non boxed unit.

Want to trade it back lol?

I've put a bid on a karaoke unit so hopefully I'll win it and go from there.

I also actually went to a local 3D printing company this morning about 3D printing a zip drive add on look a like for people to put there Dreampi set ups in, hdd's etc.

Just got to weigh up if its worth me putting some money into and if people would want to buy one.

Could you pm me some decent pics of the unit I sold you please as I haven't really got any photos of it anymore

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#7 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:07 pm

Yeah i took some on my phone last time I was at my parents house.

I'll dig them out and send a couple over.

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Great thanks!

Done a couple more hours work on it today, added working usb slot in front (like the real zip drive), tidied up the whole thing and added filler to places it needed it. I've also done loads of other little bits here and there.
Oh and the led bit I made for the DreamPi that comes out the front of the zip bit is pretty crap (I litterally did this part as quick as I could so will do it better another time).

some pics
(charging my ps4 controller lol)

with controller that has ps4 thumb stick and wire coming from front of controller (rather than back as standard)

Really enjoying making this and comiing up with new ideas for it.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46

hawkangel
noob

Post#9 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:48 pm

This is awesome.