F355 Challenge! Dreamcast's prettiest game is also its hardest

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Vgesoterica
Rank 9

F355 Challenge! Dreamcast's prettiest game is also its hardest

Post#1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:56 am

Ill never forget picking this game up when it came out...and being under the impression it was another arcade racing game.

I was mistaken lol. WOW is it hard. But that won't stop me from loving it

Anyone actually GOOD at it here?

Al3xand3r
noob

Re: F355 Challenge! Dreamcast's prettiest game is also its hardest

Post#2 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:38 pm

All you do here is advertise your full of misinformation and/or clickbait catering to this or that fanbase low quality emulation (& low quality gameplay) videos. You don't even bother feigning interest in discussing the topic to bump your threads like you do in other forums with more traffic. This footage is once again for some reason full speed yet ~half framerate (like some of your other Naomi videos like DOA2M, Project Justice & Wild Riders), you may need to disable/change vsync/freesync depending on your system for some RetroArch cores (unless you have a different issue to identify). How could you not see it? This is 60fps F355 Challenge on real hardware (Dreamcast version, not sure how downgraded it may be as there aren't any real comparisons out there, but probably not very much, the only easily visible downgraded port I recall atm is 18 Wheeler, with its more close up LOD switching for objects):

Anyway, if you're too lazy to change a setting or identify the cause at least put a disclaimer so people don't think these games run like shit.
Last edited by Al3xand3r on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:41 pm

I'm bang average at it. I have won the championship but with all the driving aids on - lifting off the throttle before the abs and traction control kicks on the corners can give you a few tenths depending on the corner but very difficult to win a race with the driving aids on. You only get to really appreciate just how special a game it is and was when you take the driving aids off imo but then it gets even harder :p

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:29 pm

Vgesoterica wrote:Anyone actually GOOD at it here?

I'm stuperb cheers for asking :lol:

Caspian
core

Post#5 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 am

Vgesoterica wrote:Anyone actually GOOD at it here?

Short answer would be... no. Graphically it is up there with the best, I would argue that Le Man's is equally good plus it offers the extra camera options and the ability to tune down the difficulty. But they play a bit differently so one can have them both as favorites.

One thing is for sure, I was kind of disappointed by the lack of RPGs back in the day but when it came to racing games, Dreamcast owners were veeery lucky.