Pi Zero - Built into Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Sega1Dream
Donated

Re: Pi Zero - Built into Dreamcast

Post#21 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Not sure if you can fit a Pi 3 in the Dreamcast. That's why I went with the Pi Zero. Specifically the Pi Zero w, for wireless already built in.

At the time when I did this, the DreamPi software did not work with the integrated WiFi module. So I had to add the USB hub, for a WiFi dongle to be installed.

It was a fun project and fairly simple to do. All the voltages are there for these modern devices and the amp draw is minimal, so the Dreamcast can easily accommodate it.

Good luck, and post up pictures when you get it done.

simbin
undertow

Post#22 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 am

Sega1Dream wrote:Not sure if you can fit a Pi 3 in the Dreamcast. That's why I went with the Pi Zero. Specifically the Pi Zero w, for wireless already built in.

At the time when I did this, the DreamPi software did not work with the integrated WiFi module. So I had to add the USB hub, for a WiFi dongle to be installed.

It was a fun project and fairly simple to do. All the voltages are there for these modern devices and the amp draw is minimal, so the Dreamcast can easily accommodate it.

Good luck, and post up pictures when you get it done.
I no longer use the GD-ROM drive, since I got a GDEMU - should accommodate the Pi 3 nicely.

I'm curious where you attached 12v to the modem. Did you use a resistor to drop down to 9v?
Could you please share more details?

I'm planning on filing the plastic slots in the Dreamcast and modem a bit wider, so I can slip the phone wires inside and solder them directly.

I'm just thinking now, but I will definitely take many pictures of everything :-)

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#23 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm

For the resistor, I used the same one recommend when building the Line Voltage Inducer. I figured the 12v was close enough to the 9v, and it's only there to create the dial tone. It necessarily doesn't have to be a "clean" dial tone, so over current didn't create any issues.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#24 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Hello All,

So my GD-ROM was damaged from baggage claim flying to Seattle, so I decided to redo the built in pi in the Dreamcast. Having the GDEMU saves a lot of space, and since the awesome people of the Dreamcast community update the DreamPi software, I don't need an external USB wifi adapter.

Pretty much used the same screw hole as the GD-ROM for the Pi with a plastic spacer. Then re-ran the cables and tried to clean things up a bit. Might go all out on the next one and actually make it look "official".

WP_20190206_12_18_49_Pro.jpg

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#25 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Glad to see it done with the GDEMU installed! I have one of those too absolutely love it! Gives me a better idea of how to place everything inside mine now when I get it fully build, just waiting on the parts for the LVI really. But I got the zero regular model, the $5 one, and a $1 sub wifi dongle on ebay.

You might want to create a little cardboard gate around the GDEMU, as it is going to help with keeping it much cooler since now it completely changes the airflow inside the system.

Here is how I did mine with some cardboard from my nieces Happy meal haha. I got a 128gb SD card in it now. ;)