DreamPSU - Dreamcast Replacement Power Supply

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Would you buy one?

Yes
89%
No
7%
Maybe
4%
Total votes: 27

Gumbo
lithium

Re: DreamPSU - Dreamcast Replacement Power Supply

Post#81 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Roareye wrote:Sorry to keep bugging you with questions, Gumbo. But I was wondering - the Dreamcast reset issue, does this PSU suffer the same issue as the stock PSU?

From what I've seen online the console self-resetting is due to the PSU pins needing to be bent to keep constant contact with the PSU chip. I've bent these once and fixed the problem but the reset just showed up again after a few weeks. I was wondering if this has ever occured with the DreamPSU or if the connections are better placed to avoid this problem.

Thats OK :) Questions are good.
I've had several people purchase a DreamPSU to fix the random reset problem, all have reported that it did fix it. The connections on the DreamPSU are VERY tight, so it is highly unlikely to occur in the future.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#82 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Phenomenal. I see you deliver via Royal Mail in the UK, which is good. Is there any soldering required for this mod at all? Or is it a simple removal of the old PSU and placing this one in its place?
I know to attach things like a Pi to it etc will require some soldering, but does just placing it in require any technical skill?

TacT
Uber

Post#83 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:32 pm

I would get one for sure if they offered a suitable quality 12v plug adapter with the kit , Ive had a lot of different "12v" dc adapters that are all a bit different I would want to make sure to get a solid one for the dc =)

it's still thinking.

BloodBrother
core

Post#84 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Gumbo wrote:
Chael wrote:What caused the price increase of dream PSU compared to first wave?
Wanted one and missed the window but now it's a bit out of my budget, c'est la vie.

Honestly, in the end, it was about profit, as greedy as it may seem. After all fee's, fuel, shipping costs, equipment costs etc etc. After about 3 months of work, that was a whole lot harder than i ever imagined it being, all the time spent answering email, i was probably earning a "wage" of less than $1 an hour, which unfortunately i cant live on.
Friends and people in the community encouraged me to increase the price to almost $60, but i didn't feel comfortable with that, so i made it $50, with "bulk buy" (2+) discounts, I still don't feel comfortable with $50 in reality, but that price gives me a good margin to be able to live too.
I never originally did it for profit and to make me loads of money, i did it because it was something i wanted to do to give back to the community, but in the end it just ate way more time than i was expecting.

I appreciate your answer, peeps gotta eat! Wish i could have order a 1st wave, but ill definitely pick up one form this run.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

Gumbo
lithium

Post#85 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Roareye wrote:Phenomenal. I see you deliver via Royal Mail in the UK, which is good. Is there any soldering required for this mod at all? Or is it a simple removal of the old PSU and placing this one in its place?
I know to attach things like a Pi to it etc will require some soldering, but does just placing it in require any technical skill?

No soldering required, just open your console, unscrew the original power supply and put the DreamPSU in and secure it with a screw from the original power supply :D

TacT wrote:I would get one for sure if they offered a suitable quality 12v plug adapter with the kit , Ive had a lot of different "12v" dc adapters that are all a bit different I would want to make sure to get a solid one for the dc =)

It was originally considered to supply a power supply with the DreamPSU, But the extra weight and size would have increased the shipping costs dramatically, especially for orders outside the UK, so it was dropped.
The best advice i can give about power supplies is simply that you get what you pay for, Don't expect a $5 eBay power supply to work as well as a $20 power supply. For those in Europe, i recommend this supply,
http://www.leicke.eu/en/products/NT03010
It works flawlessly, isn't too expensive and has brilliant build quality.

BloodBrother wrote:I appreciate your answer, peeps gotta eat! Wish i could have order a 1st wave, but ill definitely pick up one form this run.

Thanks dude :D

BloodBrother
core

Post#86 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:19 am

Excuse me Chris, is there a chance youd kindly checking to see if my invoice is still good? 2879. Thank you!
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

keilmillerjr
noob

Post#87 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Sent you an email a while back inquiring about the product. It’s a nifty device that I don’t want to miss out on, so I placed an order. Thank you! Order #3469