Custom PlanetWeb Browser [WIP]

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
thE rZA
dark night

Re: PlanetWeb Browser 3.0 GDI Wanted

Post#21 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:14 pm

@mrneo240: Track 1 still named MONACOONLINE :mrgreen: .
My DC online games: Alien Front Online US,ChuChu Rocket EU,Monaco Grand Prix 2 EU,Planet Ring EU,PSO v1.0 US,Toy Racer EU[/align]

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#22 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:32 pm

thE rZA wrote:@mrneo240: Track 1 still named MONACOONLINE :mrgreen: .
told ya it was made quickly! My bad, I didn't even realize that.

thE rZA wrote:And: The/your package doesn't contain a bootfile.bin like mantioned in https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... extracting .
bootfile.bin isn't an actual file. More it refers to a file that exists but may be named multiple things. Most commonly 1ST_READ.bin or 0WINCEOS.bin. also I believe this application has to be a DATA/DATA image at LBA 45000. So I don't know if that guide covers it. Check out the family Guy boot script. bootfile.bin is IP.bin it is also extracted with isorip.exe. I'll also make a tool to rip that for ya. I have most of the program done but it just needs a little modification.

For special reasons if you rebuild this image I don't think it will work correctly. I can build a tool that will fix that issue though. Just give me a couple hours to get off work. Maybe 2 hours or so.

thE rZA wrote:So: Does it work as a burned CDI image or not? I have no emulator to test.

Yes this image does work on a retail Dreamcast. Also works on all emulators. I couldn't test network connectivity because I don't have one.

Get some Dreamcast emulators: reicast, nulldc, demul, or the new one something dream (I'll post it later)

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#23 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:33 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:I guess I'm curious as to what kinds of modifications your planning to make itsthinkingstill

To save time on me typing, this is what i pm'd some people who are helping me :D "that im in the process of making a custom version of ver 3.0 much like what i did with the Saturn one (much like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYp_JOd8NUo). i was thinking of putting an landing page that would take you off to different subsections (like the tutorials i put in my saturn browsers) that are located on disk. I was thinking to center it around Dreampipe with a section that goes off to a collection of dc sites (could even put some of those sites on disk like skies of arcadia) and maybe one to a video collection with sfd's that are located on the disk so one does not need to download them, much like who f355 did it with its movie. Also maybe a section for some dreamcast soundtracks or soundtracks from the era off late 90's to early 2000's (Tarzan or Titanic :lol: )"

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#24 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:45 pm

mrneo240 wrote:
itsthinkingstill wrote:
mrneo240 wrote:So is this project completed?

Not anytime soon. 3.0 is looking to be a pain to get working

Are you having issues generating an iso after modifying stuff? Or just issues with the browser crashing when too much is being processed?

Planet web 3.0 seems to constantly crash after loading 3 pages. Only after resting the dc itself can one load anything else. I initially thought there might have been an error in your iso, however after reading reviews of 3.o from 2001-02 iv heard a commen complaint is of the crashing. This would leave me two options A) use 3.0 for more of a media hub and have a warning of the bugs in it. or B) use ver 2.6 for more stability and have it as a media hub. BTW the reason i have not start modding it is because i dont have the original files i PM you about (All attempts of extracting and recompiling using the iso have been fruitless) :)

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Re: Custom PlanetWeb Browser [WIP]

Post#25 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:40 pm

I am curious, do people want a browser that it more media and on disk located with limited web browsing, or a browser that can do web browsing and have on disk media? reason asking is because ii will help me decide if i am going to do 3.0 or 2.6

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#26 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Maximized web browsing would be best to future-proof the browser as much as possible.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#27 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 pm

sorry guys! i started writing a tool to specially fix the rebuilt iso but i am having troubles with it! sorry! finding documentation about the CDI file format is damn near impossible. i found 2 libraries which are helpful but im still not quite understanding it. Help? and ill help you back :)

Edit: i initially wrote that but i also want to add that if the 3.0 browser isnt going to work then its all good. ill probably finish the tool at some point independent of this. currently it will validate a CDI and rip the music out (and re-encode it to FLAC)

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#28 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 am

mrneo240 wrote:sorry guys! i started writing a tool to specially fix the rebuilt iso but i am having troubles with it! sorry! finding documentation about the CDI file format is damn near impossible. i found 2 libraries which are helpful but im still not quite understanding it. Help? and ill help you back :)

Edit: i initially wrote that but i also want to add that if the 3.0 browser isnt going to work then its all good. ill probably finish the tool at some point independent of this. currently it will validate a CDI and rip the music out (and re-encode it to FLAC)

No rush, i my shelf wont have anytime to work on anything till the weekend anyway :D

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#29 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 am

Maybe instead of making the cdi patcher I can patch the binary for the browser. It basically checks if there are a bunch of stupid image files that are 66mb each. I dummied the files and then after generating the image I edit the image to "report" that those images are still 66mb when really they are about 106kb. Windows and some of the tools are probably shitting themselves trying to extract the cdi.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Home page done and links changed
HOME.gif
HOME.gif (154.09 KiB) Viewed 6742 times