Looking for a Shenmue VGA save file

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Chael
fire

Looking for a Shenmue VGA save file

Post#1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am

I'm looking for a shenmue 1 save file near the end with everything unlocked... Problem is that I want a VGA compatible save. All the saves I tried were made playing on a normal tv.

As you may know Shenmue has this weird lock where a 480i save can not be used in VGA and vice versa. Uploaders do not precise the type of their saves.

If you know where to download a VGA save or can upload one I'd be grateful :)

Slurmking
lithium

Re: Looking for a Shenmue VGA save file

Post#2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't know much about shenmu but from everything I am seeing the only incompatibility is with PAL/NTSC versions not how the game is rendered. If it turns out it isn't VGA that is causing the problem then you can use dream explorer and change it to your region with this guide http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/release/help/hexedit_shen2.php?lg=en&menu=on

Chael
fire

Post#3 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Nah there is indeed a VGA lock no matter the region but it is probably possible to hex edit a save to make it VGA compatible but I wouldn't know what to edit.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:27 pm

I've never heard of such a thing. I can load my Shenmue save that was created using VGA via composite with no issues. You must be doing something wrong. Are you trying to load a completed game save? If so, you can't. Completed game saves are only for transferring Ryo's items and progress to Shenmue II.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Chael
fire

Post#5 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 pm

There are warning messages about the video mode in-game when you create the file or try to load a wrong one and other people posted about it on other forums.

https://youtu.be/YV0AlgYbZFk?t=102

But if you say you can do it, maybe there is a way or something I misunderstood i'll try again with both a us and pal game/save
Altough in my case it's the opposite, loading composites saves on a VGA monitor.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Chael wrote:There are warning messages about the video mode in-game when you create the file or try to load a wrong one and other people posted about it on other forums.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm guessing it's only the PAL version that does that because my US version doesn't have that warning screen. I think it may have something to do with the refresh rate. When using composite on PAL screens, the refresh rate is 50Hz vs. 60Hz with VGA. In the US, it's 60Hz either way.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Chael
fire

Post#7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes, maybe, altough usually you can select 50/60HZ in pal games with composites/rgb, don't remember with Shenmue.

So using the NTSC U version would fix my problem but the thing is that I wanted to play the Undub version which is only PAL I think? That's why I never tried with the US version now that I think about it.

So I could still use a PAL VGA save if anyone has one :)

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Itsn't it on BlueSwirl/Dream Explorer disc?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Chael
fire

Post#9 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 pm

There are some PAL save files but all the ones I tried were not vga compatible, and the uploaders never precised it.