Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
User avatar
LukasAkerlund
noob
Posts: 3
Contact:

Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 am

Hello everyone,

I've recently decided to pick up a Dreamcast, and I'll probably be able to do so next month. It was the only Sega console I didn't own, as when I had the opportunity to pick up a new console, I ended up getting the PS2. The PS2 sadly never provided me with much, besides the games I could get elsewhere (GTA, Need for Speed, etc). The only titles I really liked where the Ace Combat games (in fact I got a Xbox 360 later just to play AC6).

Since I don't know much about the Dreamcast, I'd like to ask for some game suggestions to pick up. Some flying games similar to Ace Combat would be nice (I only know of Airforce Delta); some Racing Games (I'm def picking Sega Rally 2, since Sega Rally was probably my favorite game when I had a Saturn), specially some games where it is possible to Drift (tho any racing game will do to be honest); some Action RPGs like Diablo or maybe even like Zelda (2d or 3d ones); I'd appreciate a game similar to the 3D GTAs, but I can do without it; and I guess thats it.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
mistamontiel
Vagabond
Posts: 792
Contact:

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am

Welcome !

Welp you'd dig (search a mix of these following words lol) Racing Simulation 2 Monaco Grand Prix On-Line

The manual , most importantly disc will and MUST say On-Line , recently has been resurrected ! A bit rare though !

POD too also just revived , Toy Racer , 4x4 Evolution , also of note Monaco and Toy Racer are PAL only , you could burn a boot disc such as Codebreaker er DC-IE import enabler to boot em

You could burn anything actually also'd avoid irritating region lockout . It doesn't matter what medium you use SD USB HDD CD GD everything works online DreamPi =}

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1+2 are a blast but ya won't be drifting much , Metropolis Street Racer you may drift emphasis on style points , Test Drive Le Mans is a beastly beaute , Sega GT

User avatar
LukasAkerlund
noob
Posts: 3
Contact:

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#3 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm

I've found some JP copies of Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, but I don't know how to identify if they're online ready. I'll have to keep an eye open for 4x4 Evolution and Toy Racer.

I don't really want to burn games because almost everyone here in Brazil did that since 1999 (thats why some discs are kinda expensive here), so I think that the chances I'll end up ruining the drive are kinda big, that is, if I use burnt discs.

MSR I was already familiar with, I've been listening to it's soundtrack on youtube for a while already lol.

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 5673
Contact:

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Welcome to DC-Talk! A couple of my favorite racers on the Dreamcast are Vanishing Point and Speed Devils. POD SpeedZone / POD 2 is great as well but only if you play it online; the offline content is practically non-existant.

The best flying game on Dreamcast by far is Propeller Arena. It was never released officially so you'll have to burn a copy if you want to play it.

LukasAkerlund wrote:I've found some JP copies of Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, but I don't know how to identify if they're online ready.


The online version was only released in Europe. You can tell by the logo having "On-Line" under it on the cover and on the disc.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

User avatar
LukasAkerlund
noob
Posts: 3
Contact:

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#5 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm

I heard some about Propeller Arena. I guess running a burnt disc or two isn't that bad, given the images are good to begin with.

pcwzrd13 wrote:The online version was only released in Europe. You can tell by the logo having "On-Line" under it on the cover and on the disc.


Damn, guess I'll have to look on some european websites then, only EU game I found here in Brazil was Shenmue 2. I'll keep my eye out tho, I'd really like to get the DC online once I get it, tho I'll have to look around for a dial-up ISP around my area I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!

User avatar
mistamontiel
Vagabond
Posts: 792
Contact:

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#6 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Nah real dial-up can't hang , go DreamPi

There's different DNS you'd connect to , and there is port unblocking/forwarding required for some titles , in which I'd just enable DMZ mode on Dreamcast IP

=}

gjb1985
letterbomb
Posts: 151

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:37 pm

LukasAkerlund wrote:Hello everyone,

I've recently decided to pick up a Dreamcast, and I'll probably be able to do so next month. It was the only Sega console I didn't own, as when I had the opportunity to pick up a new console, I ended up getting the PS2. The PS2 sadly never provided me with much, besides the games I could get elsewhere (GTA, Need for Speed, etc). The only titles I really liked where the Ace Combat games (in fact I got a Xbox 360 later just to play AC6).

Since I don't know much about the Dreamcast, I'd like to ask for some game suggestions to pick up. Some flying games similar to Ace Combat would be nice (I only know of Airforce Delta); some Racing Games (I'm def picking Sega Rally 2, since Sega Rally was probably my favorite game when I had a Saturn), specially some games where it is possible to Drift (tho any racing game will do to be honest); some Action RPGs like Diablo or maybe even like Zelda (2d or 3d ones); I'd appreciate a game similar to the 3D GTAs, but I can do without it; and I guess thats it.

Thanks in advance.

be sure to get propeller arena!

also you will probably like aerowings (2) and aerowings I only in japan. last game

Epiclees
rebel
Posts: 19

Re: Planning to pick up a Dreamcast

Post#8 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Well if you are planning on playing burnt games look on the bottom of the dreamcast for a 1 in a circle if that is there then you can play burnt games otherwise you need to mod it with an sd card other than that for the iso's i go to emuparadise or theisozone good luck!!

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users