Fiddling around: Repack

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
thE rZA
dark night

Fiddling around: Repack

Post#1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 am

Hey all.

In the dungeon: "thE rZA! You as a brave fighter will reach the next level. Uuaaaaaaahhh. *Katzing*" *g

I tried to repack some of my original GDIs for fun and pleasure. I don't remember which bridge I took. But I could do a working Marine Fishing NTSC for SD. Changed nothing. Just repacked.

So I want to it with Bass Fishing PAL, too. It didn't work yet. Black screen.

Q: If I extract IP.BIN and create DUMMY.DAT must it be placed into DATA folder? And manualy edit the order.txt like so AFTER resorting?

..>/DUMMY.DAT 30002 <<<< 1st line
..>/IP.BIN 30001 <<<<< 2nd line
..>/......

And then MKISOFS?

Q2: How can I find out the LBA value of Track03.iso? I ripped my org disks with Dshell. I think Marine has 45000. Others create 0 kb files if I use 45000. Could be 11702 or something....

Q3: Is patching IP (or 1ST_....) with 96 00 00 00 two times A MUST? Or can I leave this step out?

Sorry for beeing a noob.
My DC online games: Alien Front Online US,ChuChu Rocket EU,Monaco Grand Prix 2 EU,Planet Ring EU,PSO v1.0 US,Toy Racer EU[/align]

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Fiddling around: Repack

Post#2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:50 am

Q1 (and more).
I would take out the ip.bin line of your sort. Also just make sure your dummy file has the highest sort number. The sort is defined as the numerical file distance from the edge of the disc. 1 being the edge and highest being the inner circle. Keeping in mind that the data is sorted but written from the inside to outside.

If you sort correctly but your data is 100mb then it will be sorted but still sit near the inner circle. You would need a 600mb dummy to push the data to the outside.

Yup,
mkisofs -l -G IP.bin (-r -J if needed only!) -C 0,LBA# -o data.iso data

Also able to add additional flavor if you'd like.

LBA is determined by 2 things:
1. Are you making data/data or audio/data
2. Is there cdda/gdda music to add?

Q2.
gdi images are exact images of original discs. Original retail discs always use LBA 45000 for track3. How track 3 is formatted depends on if audio tracks are present. If audio tracks are present then track3 is header/toc/pvd and all data is stored in the final track without header.

Q3.
If you are asking the question stick to established tools: binhack32 (from family Guy), hack4, dahack, cdda.

Bust out the hex editor if necessary and if the "simple" way isn't working.

Btw. If you make a data/data image at lba 45000 then you don't have to because it is located at the same lba as original.

Keep the questions coming.

thE rZA
dark night

Post#3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Problem. Bass Fishing PAL. What I did:

- isofix track03.iso 45000
- rename bootfile.bin to IP.BIN
- IsoBuster fixed.iso > extract all data into data folder (about 130 MB)
- IsoBuster > FileList.txt
- listorganizer.au3 FileList.txt > output.txt
- generate 500 MB DUMMY.DAT
- edit output.txt line 1: >:\DUMMY.DAT 30001
- copy DUMMY.DAT into data folder

Now I did a

mkisofs -l -G IP.BIN -C 0,45000 -o data.iso data

But then:

mkisofs: Warning: -C specified without -M: old session data will not be merged.
mkisofs: Cannot create generic boot on offset != 0.

EDIT: I'm just invastigating... BRB...
Last edited by thE rZA on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My DC online games: Alien Front Online US,ChuChu Rocket EU,Monaco Grand Prix 2 EU,Planet Ring EU,PSO v1.0 US,Toy Racer EU[/align]

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#4 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Use a different mkisofs, if you check my post history I posted some tools for someone trying to repack MSR.

Also it would be worth making your life easier and using gd-rom explorer / gdi explorer. It's made by japanese_cake.

Also you would either need to make a 1st session or use cdi4dc or something. Maybe also try the family Guy boot pack

thE rZA
dark night

Post#5 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:03 pm

mkisofs -V ISOLDR -G data/IP.BIN -joliet -rock -l -sort output.txt -o isoldr_game.iso ./data >>>> worked >>>> SDISO: Blackscreen

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#6 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm

What do you mean "worked" and also "blackscreen"?

So it didn't work?

thE rZA
dark night

Post#7 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 am

Hey.

works == it creates a .iso file
blackscreen == copied .iso to sdcard. Boots up. Nothing. Blackscreen.

So. Yeah. It does not work.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#8 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 am

ah ok. yea we have never messed with SDISO and the whole dreamshell thing. we want to but our cable guy wasnt able to make cables so we are stuck.

thE rZA
dark night

Post#9 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 am

Yeah. You need a $17 SDCARD adapter or a cable.

SEGA Marine Fishing NTSC works without any problem. Except slow loading here and there. But works 100%.

Note: I'm using my ORIGINAL copies all the time to play around. Want to learn how to produce a CDI out of my originals. And the whole converting thingy.

Crazy Taxi: No. Bass Fishing: No. Marine Fishing: Yes. Others: Maybe.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#10 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 am

I can confidently say that we spent $12 on a copy of roommania in order to create the working release.

As for everything else we have released, oops.

It's not like the money goes to the companies/publishers/sega anymore, it only goes straight into the resellers pocket.

Someone volunteered to make us a bunch of cool cables, adapters and such but in the end it didn't work out. I think the current plan is to buy 6 SD card adapters (just for the connector, stupid as hell): keep 2 as adapters, tear apart 2 and rebuild as USB coders cables, and tear apart the last 2 to build a vs cable. Pricey though, but easier than trying to hand make the connector

Return to “Lounge”