[How to] Installed PS4 Analog stick in DC controller

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anonymouse
Outtrigger

[How to] Installed PS4 Analog stick in DC controller

Post#1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi there,
most of my DC controllers have had PS4 analog sticks in them for several years so thought id make a video on how its done.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

dreamcast ™
undertow

Re: [How to] Installed PS4 Analog stick in DC controller

Post#2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Well done! Thank you for sharing - I'll be trying this one.

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:43 am

nice! I'll be trying this as well
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#4 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 am

Nice video. I may giving this a go one one of my remotes. Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:32 am

dreamcast ™ wrote:Well done! Thank you for sharing - I'll be trying this one.

Yeah its great. Im surprised no one else has uploaded a video on this. Its the first mod I would do to Dreamcast. I couldn't imagine using that plastic analog now. It makes the handling of Daytona MUCH better.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#6 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:33 am

For those that don't want to modify their original controllers at all by shortening the shaft, is there enough material in the replacement to drill and make the hole deeper instead?

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#7 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm

dreamcast ™ wrote:For those that don't want to modify their original controllers at all by shortening the shaft, is there enough material in the replacement to drill and make the hole deeper instead?

The hole is circular so it wouldnt be possible to get a drill bit in without 'rounding' out the hole.

Some of the controllers dont need the shaft shortened to work without contact. Try it and see.

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#8 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:21 pm

@Anonymouse - If you use a bit the size of the smallest diameter of the hole, you could do one side, then the other (think venn-diagram in how the drilling would overlap).

I tried this mod and here are my observations:

1) Very nice.
2) There is enough material to deepen the hole a bit on the replacement, OR
3) When putting the controller back together, tighten the three screws on the side of the analog stick to finger tight, then back them off a quarter turn. That will make the joystick move freely so no modification to either the replacement stick or the original controller is needed and the controller will still hold together enough that you shouldn't notice the screws aren't torqued all the way.

Note: This replacement (or, at least the one I received) is not a perfect match. The dome portion extends down further on the original than the replacement, so when you move the stick to its fullest extent in any direction, there will be a gap that allows you to see inside of the controller.

Roel
Developer

Post#9 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 am

Had a quick look at the video. Nice work. But are you sure using vaseline / petroleum jelly is a good idea? Many sources state it can degrade plastics over time.

krssn
Metallic

Post#10 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 am

That's correct Roel. Better to use silicone grease.