Prototype HDMI board from 2015

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
FlorreW
Animated Violence

Re: Prototype HDMI board from 2015

Post#31 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:36 am

Sounds awsome <3

WingMantis
dark night

Post#32 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:57 am

citrus3000psi wrote:I'm working with Chriz2600 on an HDMI project. His github is here: https://github.com/chriz2600/DreamcastHDMI

I just finished up a second revision (still protos) last week. There is a QSB that grabs the digital signals and a FFC cables runs to the bottom side of the motherboard, where the main board will sit.

I'm glad to see progress is being made on this project. I had signed up on some other project forum to post questions and suggestions last year.

What I really want to ask/suggest is: can you make this into an external box with the expensive brains, and have cheap internal flex cables that bring all the data lines to a connector on the back?

This would allow a universal external HDMI adapter to be used with multiple different consoles via console specific internal flex cables and different software configuration in the adapter box.

citrus3000psi
shadow

Post#33 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:37 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:price estimate?

Price will be 150. Had to go with a more expensive FPGA for this first batch. The cheaper C8G FPGA variant is sold out everywhere, so I've had to buy the "automotive" I7G, which costs more. If later batches use the C8G then price will go down slightly. This is just an expensive board :(

WingMantis wrote:I'm glad to see progress is being made on this project. I had signed up on some other project forum to post questions and suggestions last year.

What I really want to ask/suggest is: can you make this into an external box with the expensive brains, and have cheap internal flex cables that bring all the data lines to a connector on the back?

This would allow a universal external HDMI adapter to be used with multiple different consoles via console specific internal flex cables and different software configuration in the adapter box.

Its a good idea, but implementation would prove difficult. The digital lines (especially, audio) are are prone to interference. Routing this outside the console to a connector could cause problems.

Not all consoles use the same type of video bus, for example the Dreamcast uses 12 bit bus (Its still 24bit, but every half clock is the other set of data) Where as the PS2 uses a full 24 bit bus.

I'm sure there would be other hurdles to deal with as well.

On a different note, did I mention we've added In game Reset ;) So you can jump back to your ODE menu with ease.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#34 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Awesome news!