Dreamcast emulator Reicast adds online multiplayer support

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Dreamcast emulator Reicast adds online multiplayer support

Post#1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Reicast Libretro has now gained modem and PPP support. It leverages dreamcastlive.net which makes it possible to still play these games while their original servers are down. Grab the latest core from the buildbot in order to use this! It should work on Windows, Linux, Android, and potentially even macOS seamlessly without having to input an IP address, thanks to true zero-configuration multiplayer! To our knowledge, this is the first time a Dreamcast emulator offers true zero-configuration multiplayer support like this. Demul requires a complicated TAP driver/OpenVPN configuration, and modem support was not implemented yet since the last time we checked.

Source: https://www.libretro.com/index.php/reic ... time-ever/

flyinghead
rebel

Re: Dreamcast emulator Reicast adds online multiplayer support

Post#2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello,

I'm the guy behind the development of this feature. I hope this will bring more people to online Dreamcast gaming, and that everybody will benefit from it.
If you have any question or concern, feel free to contact me.

Flyinghead

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Awesome! Seriously great seeing this feature added! It will make getting online with others easier if we don't have a DreamPi. I just got a GDEMU last month so that in itself cost me over $100. So my next big investment will be DreamPi but not for after a while.

Thanks for this feature!

Now if only Dreamcast emulation in Retro Arch on PS3 could get worked on. As I heard it explained was that the emu would need a full rewrite to work on PS3. I just got one of those last month as well and jailbroke it so just dreaming out loud lol.

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:41 pm

flyinghead wrote:Hello,

I'm the guy behind the development of this feature. I hope this will bring more people to online Dreamcast gaming, and that everybody will benefit from it.

Flyinghead

Awesome work :)

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:01 am

Very cool. Keep up the good work.

colgate
Doom

Post#6 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 am

flyinghead wrote:Hello,

Flyinghead

Do you mind telling us how did you write the code for the modem?

Nardokrazy2x
noob

Post#7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 pm

anyone got 2kgames work me and another retroarch play can see each other in lobby but when we challenge it don't show the inv

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#8 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Nardokrazy2x wrote:anyone got 2kgames work me and another retroarch play can see each other in lobby but when we challenge it don't show the inv

shuouma needed a program on the dreampi to fix the 2kgames, that's why we needed dreampi 1.7. i know shu made a .deb for this program for people still using 1.6. @flyinghead could contact shuouma for the .deb and other instructions so flyinghead could add the needed code to the plugin

also gamespy games like starlancer needed a UPNP dreampi plugin IIRC. and planetring had a VOIP fix plugin i think, but i might not be remembering correctly

great work @flyinghead
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

flyinghead
rebel

Post#9 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 am

I did try to contact Shuouma about the 2K2 and the Planet Ring VOIP packet mangling fixes. No answer so far.
The gamespy fix for Starlancer and others should not be needed in my case.

colgate
Doom

Post#10 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:48 am

Are these fixes kernel modules or a software running in dreampi?