SEGA DREAMCAST VGA Cable

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

SEGA DREAMCAST VGA Cable

Post#1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Hey ordered and waiting for the VGA I got from ebay , coming from China , it was $7 , how much different could it be from like the $20 TOOME or the RetroBit ones ?
Attachments
s-l500.jpg

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: SEGA DREAMCAST VGA Cable

Post#2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:19 pm

shielding could be crap..?

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Yeah it could be very different. Cheap cables from China, or anything much cheaper by comparison, as a rule, I stay far away from.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:38 pm

All valid points , the only other thing is maybe the life span before the teeth snap off lol

BloodBrother
core

Post#5 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Its a good cable, ive had it for over a year and works fine.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#6 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:58 am

My cheap cable is very picky on the connection to the dreamcast. And if you bump it, you can see the picture on the TV change brightness and there will be an audiable static noise. But it is fun more often then not. Only when I switch cables to play a non VGA game. S

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Cool , and I have read if you got CODE BREAKERS that can be used to force other titles to be VGA. Some got the coding but is not programmed so you got to unlock it basically with the code breaker start up disc swap

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#8 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Its a good first step into the VGA/HDMI Dreamcast game.

That was one of the first cables I used for VGA output, where it then went into a variety of VGA-HDMI converters. (1st a small laptop one, then a $30 ish one from amazon, which did a better job preventing image noise).

For me, my final solution was doing an internal VGA+3.5mm+switch mod at the back of the console, and plug in a Atlona AT-HDView directly into that port. That one did the best in converting the VGA signal to true 480p (not 640x480 via HDMI like the pass through cables & cheep HDMI box's)

Running a properly time 480p signal into my TV allowed it to be displayed properly with color, scaling, etc. Where as a 640x480 via HDMI signal limited my tv's processing and color settings since it assumed it was bring plugged into a computer, and not a console or set-top box. Not all TV's behave this way, but all my vizios did.

mikeyp
shadow

Post#9 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 am

I'm waiting for retrogamingcables.co.uk to make/release this. Should be ready next year. It's a combined RGB SCART/VGA cable and will have a switch for changing between the two.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... ART-CABLES

I've got their cables for all my other consoles and the quality and picture are superb. Blew the cheap chinese RGB SCART cables I had before out the water. They've gone in the bin and I won't use anything else now.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#10 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:59 pm

I got Part 1 in , today.

The Red and White Cables sounded good in the HDMI 1 and Standard Audio Jacks.

The PC OUT Image looks great , The PC Audio Input is a single black hole
so that's that why I need my 2nd package to show up.

All this connected together will then use the HDMI 1 SLOTS for the HDMI Channel I got . :mrgreen:
Attachments
s-l500 hdmi.jpg
s-l500.jpg