Is the Dreamcast HD Link worth purchasing?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Re: Is the Dreamcast HD Link worth purchasing?

Post#21 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 am

That bios mod I had you install for me was the best thing ever.

I hope japanese-cake eventually does another update, but it seems he just kinda vanished sadly

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#22 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm

OfManNotMachine wrote:I hope japanese-cake eventually does another update, but it seems he just kinda vanished sadly

He's still around. He's currently working on breaking the copy-protection on Bleem discs. It's the only thing that doesn't work on his BIOS at the moment.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm

very nice, so wiz do you know if there are any issues with using one of these vga to hdmi upscalers in terms of on pal systems/tvs? I guess I was concerned that there might be a reason why they aren't on sale on the UK amazon. In theory if an upscaler works ok it will mean I can use my NTSC skies and pso v2 without issue, I don't use any games which require RCA tbh
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm

lolike double break? er copy-protection still lingers on the CDIs or he wants the real discs to work? I can do without let them get dusted

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#25 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:02 am

Yes, the protections have still been there since they were originally cracked in December of 2009, they were just patched if you will. Nothing had ever been removed fully. He is removing all protections on the retail ones, so they should work with the GDEMU, USB-GDROM, the IDE mod with Dreamshell or any other means of loading games where disc swapping is not physical, and or with his bios, which means he should be able to make them work normally, but you already commented on his tweet about it so I thought you already knew this mista?

This is a huge fucking deal for the community and those of us using other means of loading games on Dreamcast. :)

Not sure how feasible it would be to make self booting cdi's of those games, but for us with GDEMU or other ODE's where space is not an issue like a 700mb cdr, we may actually be able to have selfbooting images of the 3 official games with our devices. That is a pipe dream of mine. I was HUGE into PSX before the DC came out, so I still love having those games on my DC.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 am

Wait, I'm confused now lol... what are you guys talking about? Booting discs etc?

Does anyone know what, IF ANY, impact there would be on me using a VGA-HDMI upscaler on my PAL Dreamcast? All these upscalers appear to be only available on the US Amazon site so I was wondering if there was a regional reason for that
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc