POD Speedzone is cool. (From a first time newbie player)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
beanboy
Wazza

POD Speedzone is cool. (From a first time newbie player)

Post#1 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Okay. So for the first time ever, I finally played Pod Speedzone today.

I had to test for myself and see, what makes this game cool. And I will admit, though I am not a fan of futuristic, space apocalyptic looking kinda games, this racing game is pretty cool. I still have to get accustomed to the tracks though. And especially the road gaps, that you have to jump over. Two of the cars I luckily was able to select, handled really nice. And the stages I raced in, really have an unusual, creatively cool design to them.

I will admit, I am an F-Zero fan, but I have never played a futuristic racer, like this one. This is a rare gem of a game.

Also, I found out a few days ago, that apparently, some special cars and stages, can only be unlocked, when you are online, or when online is detected. Is there any special cheat code etc, to unlock those particular special cars and stages? Because I couldn't find any on the internet, or on gamefaqs etc. And also, any other tips and tricks, from you POD experts will help too. :)

My impression, after playing it for a while, is that this is a really nice game. Despite the strange blacked out screen title and game menu emulator problems, that I and as I recently discovered, a few others have experienced, while playing it on reicast for android, I'm still going to play it again and try out some more cars and stuff. Playing this on reicast emulator was nice. But playing this on a real dreamcast console, with an actual game controller, will be a better experience for me.

And I definitely plan, on buying a physical copy of this game and Racing Simulation: Monaco grand Prix Online, when I decide to buy some more, dreamcast games. This game is really nice. :D

Sega RPG

Re: POD Speedzone is cool. (From a first time newbie player)

Post#2 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 am

must admit, this is not the best racer, it's the classic half baked ubisoft game which may seems dull from time to time, but for some reason it's very fun to play it online and i always do that with pleasure...

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:53 am

lolike, a single weap n a boost that's it

beanboy
Wazza

Post#4 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:24 pm

247 wrote:must admit, this is not the best racer, it's the classic half baked ubisoft game which may seems dull from time to time, but for some reason it's very fun to play it online and i always do that with pleasure...

Yeah, I understand what you mean, by classic half baked Ubisoft game. Ubisoft has always been guilty, of having great game ideas, but falling short of actually pulling them off properly.
But the good thing is, at least this POD game is not so bad. But it could have been better. And the online seems to make up for it in a way. I watched some online vids of this game, from a few youtube channels that have dreamcast content. And it looked really fun to play online.

I've also heard some good things, about a game on the dreamcast, called Speed Devil's. Some dreamcast fans/gamers like it, others say it could have been better. I've never played it yet though. But I'm curious to see how it is.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#5 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:08 am

Speed Devils Online is the online version, as Speed Devils was released as an offline title first.

According to Dreamcast Junkyard, Speed Devils Online is actually quite a downgrade to Speed Devils! Graphics are toned down, the single player was removed and the unlockables were simply available by default. Once the online side is brought back though, it might redeem itself.

Sega RPG

Post#6 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 am

beanboy wrote:
247 wrote:must admit, this is not the best racer, it's the classic half baked ubisoft game which may seems dull from time to time, but for some reason it's very fun to play it online and i always do that with pleasure...

Yeah, I understand what you mean, by classic half baked Ubisoft game. Ubisoft has always been guilty, of having great game ideas, but falling short of actually pulling them off properly.
But the good thing is, at least this POD game is not so bad. But it could have been better. And the online seems to make up for it in a way. I watched some online vids of this game, from a few youtube channels that have dreamcast content. And it looked really fun to play online.

I've also heard some good things, about a game on the dreamcast, called Speed Devil's. Some dreamcast fans/gamers like it, others say it could have been better. I've never played it yet though. But I'm curious to see how it is.

exactly that but at least i mpst say it's impressive how ubisoft is keen to support new things (in this case the online and the dc)

as for speed devils, never played it and from what i see it seems a very dull game honestly, but for some reason i can't wait to try the online play, equally to pod the online feature seems much more interesting

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:11 pm

I've never played POD Speedzone, but I played the original POD. It came with the first computer we ever got. I didn't play it a ton but it was a pretty decent racing game.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:03 pm

POD and Speed Devils use the same engine, I often wondered if we could mod in the cars and tracks from Speed Devils into the POD game. Seems like the same exact engine.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#9 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:22 pm

ReaderRagfish wrote:I've never played POD Speedzone, but I played the original POD. It came with the first computer we ever got. I didn't play it a ton but it was a pretty decent racing game.

Yeah, I heard it was pc game. :D
I've never played the original though. Only the one on dreamcast the other day. :D

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#10 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:13 pm

For years, I didn't even know there was a Dreamcast sequel. I just thought it had one game on PC and that was it.