Is the Dreamcast Region coded?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Norris117
noob

Is the Dreamcast Region coded?

Post#1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:45 am

Is the Dreamcast Region coded? I currently want to get my hands on a Dreamcast but I’m stationed in Germany rn and I still want to be able to bring it home to the states and continue collecting. Should I just order a US or is it ok to get a European Dreamcast.
Last edited by Norris117 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sega RPG

Re: Is the Dreamcast Region coded?

Post#2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:47 am

well the answer is yes, the dreamcast is region locked, anyway mods exists or region switchers. The easiest way anyway is to simply buy a gameshark or an xploder disc, i for example i had a pal dreamcast and booted everything with the xploder disc (altought my new dc seems to have a mod, still use the xploder disc anyway cause the mod seems to work 50% of times)

the gameshark should cost a little more but the xploder disc should be fairly cheap...

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#3 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 am

You can also burn a region bypass disc, such as BlueCrab's PSO boot disc, for free. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Sega RPG

Post#4 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 am

Aleron Ives wrote:You can also burn a region bypass disc, such as BlueCrab's PSO boot disc, for free. ;)

i actually have an exploder and an action replay but well, didn't know that, you taught me a new thing xD

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#5 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Besides the region lock (which is easy to bypass) don't forget European systems run on 220V, so you might want to pop-in a replacement PSU (like DreamPSU)

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:19 pm

i say get it. when you get back to the states you can just use it to play your imports.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#7 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 am

DCX takes care of imports, the most important problem is voltage.

TigerMacZ
undertow

Post#8 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:12 am

also you forgot the elephant in the room if he does get a pal dreamcast, the voltages are different so he would either need a power transformer to convert the 100/110v from an american supply to 240v in europe

or you could jsut change the powerboard i guess