PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Post#11 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:02 pm

Again UGB picked right back up so the durn thing works?

I'm 'sprised no one posted the DCJY article. Very, very damning

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Post#12 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:55 pm

i saw this on reddit earlier in the day.
its already hard enough to find new electronics that don't break in 3 years.
but to intentionally sabotage the firmware lol
nothing suprises me anymore.
looks like its gdemu for me.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Lets not forget he can't claim that he is worried about clones, which due to the fact you can't even really clone the damn things without having to cannibalize many parts off of a DC itself.

Like Keropi mentioned over at Assembler, the IC is actually the deterrent which must come from a Dreamcast GDRom board to begin with.

That's always been the problem with USB-GDROM from the start. It's not a GD-ROM drive replacement when it requires parts from a GD-ROM drive to function.

Tarnish wrote:That kinda means you can't really call this a 'drive replacement' if you actually need working components from the drive to make these things. It's more like an upgrade than a replacement then.

Yup.

Please stop supporting Mnemo's attempts to murder working Dreamcasts just to make a buck.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Lets not forget he can't claim that he is worried about clones, which due to the fact you can't even really clone the damn things without having to cannibalize many parts off of a DC itself.

Like Keropi mentioned over at Assembler, the IC is actually the deterrent which must come from a Dreamcast GDRom board to begin with.

That's always been the problem with USB-GDROM from the start. It's not a GD-ROM drive replacement when it requires parts from a GD-ROM drive to function.

Tarnish wrote:That kinda means you can't really call this a 'drive replacement' if you actually need working components from the drive to make these things. It's more like an upgrade than a replacement then.

Yup.

Please stop supporting Mnemo's attempts to murder working Dreamcasts just to make a buck.

To be fair, is anyone really using a dead gdrom drive for anything? People could be trashing them. Better to upcycle rather than just not use them at all right?

Plus if they are using a ide or gdemu solution, they still equally aren't utilizing the gdrom drive chips right?

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#15 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:58 pm

This reminds me of the killer code which was in some of the old R4 cards used in Nintendo DS's back in the day. Mainly because there were Chinese clones of the original which they tried to shut down.

That felt less shady to me, but this idk rubs me a bit differently.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#16 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 am

glad I roll vanilla...

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 am

HuntrRose wrote:glad I roll vanilla...

If dreamcast game prices were reasonable and I didn't have to burn anything, I'd roll Vanilla too. I got fed up the the dreamcast occasionally deciding to read a burned disc lol.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Dude, even with a high quality Samsung DVD burner that was the most compatible with burning DC games I have ever used, just so many other factors were up to making sure every game worked correctly. If you ever tried burning Half-Life and it's mods, you would know it prefers Alcohol 120% to get consistently good burns. And don't get me talking about the 2010 or 2011 cracked release of Bleem that was hacked to skip disc check on the 3 official retail releases. It was an absolute BITCH to get Tekken working unless you followed my discovered burning settings to the "t". It took me nigh 20 discs to figure out the correct burn settings for that disc.

Plus, I am spoiled by more modern systems. I have the ability on Steam, my OG Xbox, 360, Xbone and Jailbroke PS3 to select all my games from a list to load and play. It is why I prefer playing my PSX and PS2 games from my PS3, just because it allows me to choose all games from a menu. I am way more apt to try and play games I never would have given the time of day, or wasted discs to burn since it was more of a chore than anything to play them.

Plus, disc rot and scratches suck. I don't tend to get scratches on my games, as I take care of them, but after 20 years, disc rot is a fact of life.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#19 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Wasn't disc rot just an small incident that only affected a certain batch of early 90s CDs from a certain manufacturer?

Seems like every few years I hear someone write a scare article about how disc rot will kill our video game collections, and yet I never actually hear from people who've encountered it. I personally own hundreds of different CDs, and not a single one is affected. Obviously it's just anecdotal evidence and maybe it just hasn't started yet, but when there are decade old articles written by random people saying "I have DOZENS of discs affected by this!" and you've never encountered it, you start to get a little skeptical.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#20 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:02 am

It is still a thing, albeit if you keep your stuff in a dry place and hope and pray for the best maybe it isn't as much of an issue. But I have seen plenty of threads over on reddit affecting people playing games on DC.

Here is the clearest example I have seen and it was posted here back in the day.

viewtopic.php?t=3406