Retrobit DC controller update

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Alextended
shadow

Re: Retrobit DC controller update

Post#101 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:00 am

I got a Retro-bit Saturn wired USB controller for PC of the first batches, all black like my PAL system was, to use with Saturn and other retro emulation on PC. The d-pad innards broke with barely any usage. Before that it felt excellent, maybe with a bit more mushy buttons than I remembered. I tried to contact Retro-bit about it and they didn't respond for ages, then eventually they finally responded, via twitter rather than e-mail or whatever else iIrc and it looked like I was gonna get some replacement parts after some back and forth and how it was apparently a known issue fixed in later batches (it's not like I can compare though) but then they just ghosted me again. So I'm never buying anything else from them as much as I want something like these new Saturn dual analog and Dreamcast pads. I already had a DualShock 4 for modern games and emulation of anything PS2 onward (PS1 too of course), which I now also use for N64 and Dreamcast and for older retro stuff, 2D stuff, fighting games, Saturn stuff, Genesis stuff and whatever else is relevant for it I got a Hori Fighting Commander (PS4 version I guess but no touchpad stuff, it's USB and works fine on PC in various modes, dinput, xinput, whatever you need) since it also has 6 face buttons and had a good reputation and it's been working fine a long while now and is pretty damn great and high quality. The d-pad is just a cross rather than Saturn style but it's good and hey, it hasn't broken after heavy use so no complaints here. I was actually debating getting that or the 8Bitdo M30 but I'm happy with my decision and I won't be needing another pad of the sort soon.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#102 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Alextended wrote:I got a Retro-bit Saturn wired USB controller for PC of the first batches, all black like my PAL system was, to use with Saturn and other retro emulation on PC. The d-pad innards broke with barely any usage. Before that it felt excellent, maybe with a bit more mushy buttons than I remembered. I tried to contact Retro-bit about it and they didn't respond for ages, then eventually they finally responded, via twitter rather than e-mail or whatever else iIrc and it looked like I was gonna get some replacement parts after some back and forth and how it was apparently a known issue fixed in later batches (it's not like I can compare though) but then they just ghosted me again. So I'm never buying anything else from them as much as I want something like these new Saturn dual analog and Dreamcast pads. I already had a DualShock 4 for modern games and emulation of anything PS2 onward (PS1 too of course), which I now also use for N64 and Dreamcast and for older retro stuff, 2D stuff, fighting games, Saturn stuff, Genesis stuff and whatever else is relevant for it I got a Hori Fighting Commander (PS4 version I guess but no touchpad stuff, it's USB and works fine on PC in various modes, dinput, xinput, whatever you need) since it also has 6 face buttons and had a good reputation and it's been working fine a long while now and is pretty damn great and high quality. The d-pad is just a cross rather than Saturn style but it's good and hey, it hasn't broken after heavy use so no complaints here. I was actually debating getting that or the 8Bitdo M30 but I'm happy with my decision and I won't be needing another pad of the sort soon.

Honestly the dual analog Saturn pad looks ridiculous. It has sticks so close together, thumbs will probably be hitting each other at 30% travel. Plus, imagine trying to hit one of the 6 buttons quickly and accurately after taking thumb off right stick. Not going to be a good time. The pro controllers already available with back buttons and well placed analog sticks are going to be way nicer to use. I have M30 and it is great, get a Brook adapter to use with dreamcast and you are set for fighters and shmups!

Also, if you have a DS4 that is the best (in my opinion) for emulation on PC. Use DS4Windows and the touch pad replaces a mouse well enough that you don't need one. And you can map clicking the top of the touch pad, I use it for full screen activate/deactivate. So I don't need a keyboard anymore or feel hobbled with no mouse once the touch pad is setup.

Alextended
shadow

Post#103 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:38 pm

I just would have had it as a catch-all controller rather than alternate two. Use it as a DS4/Xbox pad for modern stuff, or use it like a 6 face button fighting/retro controller (I don't think back paddles are comfortable for that just as shoulder buttons weren't comfortable as buttons 5 and 6 on Dreamcast or PlayStation). Not both at the same time. I did think the sticks looked too close but maybe now they've switched to the joy con style low profile stuff it might be decent enough. But yeah I just can't trust the brand any more after that crap.

Oh yeah I also use the DS4 for Saturn or Arcade stuff that support analog like racing games, that took some remapping but it's great now.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#104 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:42 am

I have no idea if I'm in the minority on this, but I don't like the Switch-style joysticks at all - they barely have any travel, in addition to their miniature size. I've played the Switch round my friend's house multiple times and they especially stood out as poor when I tried the new Super Monkey Ball - absolutely not a patch on the GameCube stick I play the original game with.

I haven't used a Saturn 3D pad but I'd imagine that would be a far better alternative to this for those wishing to use analog on real hardware.