Retrobit DC controller update

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Retrobit DC controller update

Post#41 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 pm

I used the "5th" button in NFL2k2. It allows in some rare plays, that button to pass to that player.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#42 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:53 am

Greg2600 wrote:Evidently they saw what Retro Fighter is coming out with, and made changes. If it doesn't somehow fix the awful control you have in racing games with game pads, I don't want it. Would have been sweet to see one with dual analog.

But they also had already planned dual analog Genesis and Saturn controllers, so naturally also a modern dual analog version is on it's way. Since the Maple protocol already supports 2 analog sticks, as well as 2 D-pads and even an unused "D" key which I suspect could act like a macro of the soft reset, games will be able to be hex edited to support newer control layouts like some people have done with PSX dual shock games such as Quake 2 to give a modern FPS layout. Anyways, this has always been in the works since I believe before the Retrofighters pad, they are just taking their time to get it all right since they are officially licensed by Sega so they did have to approve the final design.

Remember they also showed these 2 off which are still not for sale. My guess was they wanted the DC controllers out first, then they will introduce the more modern renditions.

They also officially confirmed that at least with the Saturn wireless dongle it will support the 3 official controllers from the big 3 console manufactures. So at least PS4, Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch Pro controller were showed off as compatible in a tweet. So this is all but confirmation the same will be true for the Dreamcast and Genesis/Mega Drive dongles.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/stat ... 7318323200

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#43 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:22 am

I like the idea of an improved D pad buy im not overly impressed with the added and altered orientation of the face buttons. As the 4 main used buttons are not in a rotate square layout anymore, this will make playing most games now awkward. FPS will also be MUCH more difficult to play.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#44 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:34 am

I want that wireless saturn 2 joystick pad...

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#45 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:36 am

Did Sega Saturn have dual analog support? Also I would like to see a 8bitdo board instead. I have a lot of Sega Dreamcast Controllers would rather be able to recycle and convert them into wireless instead of having to purchase a new controller.
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#46 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:06 pm

I will wait for tests with Sonic Adventure before purchasing this joystick.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#47 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
Greg2600 wrote:Evidently they saw what Retro Fighter is coming out with, and made changes. If it doesn't somehow fix the awful control you have in racing games with game pads, I don't want it. Would have been sweet to see one with dual analog.

But they also had already planned dual analog Genesis and Saturn controllers, so naturally also a modern dual analog version is on it's way. Since the Maple protocol already supports 2 analog sticks, as well as 2 D-pads and even an unused "D" key which I suspect could act like a macro of the soft reset, games will be able to be hex edited to support newer control layouts like some people have done with PSX dual shock games such as Quake 2 to give a modern FPS layout. Anyways, this has always been in the works since I believe before the Retrofighters pad, they are just taking their time to get it all right since they are officially licensed by Sega so they did have to approve the final design.

Remember they also showed these 2 off which are still not for sale. My guess was they wanted the DC controllers out first, then they will introduce the more modern renditions.

I recently asked them on twitter about a dual analog for Dreamcast, as they haven't said much about their modern controller plans. Here was there response.

We don't have any for the Dreamcast at the moment. That may change in the future but this is what we have worked on with SEGA for quite some time. :)

tenchi ryu
dark night

Post#48 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I guess Covid pushed the plans for this back all things considered

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#49 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:58 pm

I spoke to them over the summer on Twitter and they confirmed Covid pushed back their plans for this indefinitely.

Once their supply chain goes back into full production when everything is back to normal then we will hear more about them.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#50 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm

I remember being excited for the original ETA of Q4 2019 so I could get my hands on one of these. At this point I'll be kind of surprised if they come out at all.