painting my DC for the first time

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dreamcast459
dark night

painting my DC for the first time

Post#1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:40 am

so im going to be doing a custom spray paint job on my sega dreamcast and having never done this before im wondering should i sand down the console first ad if so is there a guide or something im a newb at this

also what grit to use and wet or dry sanding?

honestly would rather not sand my DC before painting unless necessary

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: painting my DC for the first time

Post#2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:49 am

dreamcast459 wrote:so im going to be doing a custom spray paint job on my sega dreamcast and having never done this before im wondering should i sand down the console first

I've painted quite a few Dreamcast and never sanded them. I just spray them with two or three coats of Rust-Oleum spray paint and then two or three coats of Rust-Oleum clear protective enamel. Be careful not to over-spray or you'll get dripping. It's better to do more coats than spray too much in one coat. I usually wait about 20-30mins in between coats (when the paint "looks" dry, you can add another coat). You might also need to flip the top part over after and spray inside the grooves where the two parts of the shell meet; otherwise you'll have clearly visible lines between the two when you put them back together.

Oh and one other thing, you can remove the triangle piece and logo from the lid by prying them out with a razor knife or similar thin tool (they're just held down with some adhesive). Just be very careful as you can damage the plastic while prying.

Here are a few of the ones I've done:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=4490&p=106326&hilit=custom+dreamcast+painted+pcwzrd13#p106326
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: painting my DC for the first time

Post#3 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:46 pm

it would be cool if some1 did a swirl dip dreamcast.