Skies of Arcadia crashing

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
PABU
shadow

Skies of Arcadia crashing

Post#1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi all. I got my first dreamcast back in july and iv downloaded skies of arcadia to play it. I'm at the first area after pirate isle where your hunting your first moon stone. In the area enemies will randomly spawn and attack you and it enters a battle mode. I know right when I'm about to be attacked and sent into the battle mode because the dreamcast will start to make a noise with what I assume is the laser trying to read the disk and the battle loads in normally. However, if I happen to interact with a door or a ladder when this occurs the game freezes in a soft locked state. Is this happening because I downloaded the game incorrectly? The rest of the game works fine, just crashes when trying to load a battle and i interact with a door, ladder, ect.

It sucks cause I cant save inside the area so I had to restart the whole area just for it to happen again.

Thanks for the help its appreciated

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Re: Skies of Arcadia crashing

Post#2 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 pm

probably find a different download and give it a try

PABU
shadow

Post#3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:03 pm

poopidoop wrote:probably find a different download and give it a try

Yea

I might try to see if emu has a good copy. I hope that script thing still works with the site.

It really seems to be the only issue. I got past the area the 3rd time and just stopped moving anytime I knew a battle was about to start and waited a few seconds before getting on ladders or entering doors.

Once again I appreciate the help :)

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:35 pm

get yzb's version it is the ntsc/u version, so you can use vga cable video output.
yzb wrote a better compression routine than echelon release.
the original skies of arcadia release was done by echelon.
echelon release is the pal version so no vga and includes a cracktro, trainer, and compression routine too.
the echelon version suffers from lag, and crashes.

there is a version by ryu and a version by talon (both these versions are nuked and do not work)
i tried making a version based off of talon and ryu versions, resulted in game menu loading and nothing else lol
there is a 99min version made by hykan ?afaik?
there are a few versions of eternal arcadia...i don't know who created these?
and lastly there are some sd iso versions.

YZB skies of arcadia version.
here.
https://mega.nz/#F!phsDSAiZ!7EWel7-pEWQj2vowAPYqFQ