Have you done Noctua fan mod?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Have you done Noctua fan mod?

Post#1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:28 pm

I have a gdemu clone, 3d tray, and recently acquired an Akura to replace my Pound cable. Also have a Dream Connection to hook up my saturn controller or saturn arcade stick every once in a while

Noctua + 3d printed materials + power adapter is likely my next mod project with DC... but maybe sometime early next year. hoping some kinda affordable wireless controller comes out too by retro bit or someone

People who have done it , are you overwhelmingly happy with the quietness of the machine?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Have you done Noctua fan mod?

Post#2 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:07 pm

areyareadyherewego wrote:I have a gdemu clone, 3d tray, and recently acquired an Akura to replace my Pound cable. Also have a Dream Connection to hook up my saturn controller or saturn arcade stick every once in a while

Noctua + 3d printed materials + power adapter is likely my next mod project with DC... but maybe sometime early next year. hoping some kinda affordable wireless controller comes out too by retro bit or someone

People who have done it , are you overwhelmingly happy with the quietness of the machine?

Absolutely must have upgrade if you have a USB gdrom or gdemu. Makes the machine pretty much silent. Way better airflow too it seems.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Don't forget to swap the thermal pads and unplug the speakers in the VMU to get rid of the beep. All in effort of the Ultimate Dreamcast.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 pm

deluxux wrote:unplug the speakers in the VMU to get rid of the beep.

But some games use the speaker. Super Magnetic Neo being one. It beeps when you get close to a secret.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:05 pm

good to know! Any thing else use the VMU speaker?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 pm

deluxux wrote:good to know! Any thing else use the VMU speaker?

Skies of Arcadia uses it as "radar" to find things as well. Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others though.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:

Skies of Arcadia uses it as "radar" to find things as well. Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others though.

Dynamite Cop uses it as well from what I recall the same way as Super Magnetic Neo. When a hidden collectable picture is near, it beeps.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#8 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:52 am

MSR too when accessing VMU for saves.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#9 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:56 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184588675820

Is this the correct fan for the mod kit lads? Seeing some 5 and 3 pin versions. My DC's sounding like an Antonov 225 during taking off - think it might start levitating.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#10 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:47 pm

I have the Noctua fan mod and it is very silent for sure.. but it doesn't seem to move as much air as the original fan.

Try turning on 2 DC's, one with the Noctua fan mod, and one with the original.. then feel which one blows more air. :?

What do you guys think?? I'd love to hear other people's findings.