Dreamcast Controllers

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast Controllers

Post#31 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Rolly wrote:Does anyone with a RetroFighters Striker DC controller have a problem with the analog stick?
I tested a lot of games and in a few I have a strange problem with moving e.g. in LOL Lack of Love - the character only moves in one direction..
In Time Stalkers there is a problem with moving the character in the upper-left direction..
It's a new controller and that's enough strange problem that does not occur on org. joypad.

I didnt get one myself. I couldnt justify purchasing a 3rd party controller at near full price when i can still purchase an official 1st party controller for even cheaper.

Honestly, I've been hearing a few negatives regarding this controller in terms of build quality after post release.
Particularly on the subject of the analog, Dpad and triggers either breaking or not being very intuitive. My biggest fear about that controller was always build quality.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

megavolt85
Developer

Post#32 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Rolly wrote:Does anyone with a RetroFighters Striker DC controller have a problem with the analog stick?

RetroFighters have problem in all games from Climax Graphics \ Crazy Games.

DamnRandall
noob

Post#33 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:07 pm

I tested a lot of games and in a few I have a strange problem with moving e.g. in LOL Lack of Love - the character only moves in one direction..

Huh, I thought that was a quirk with the game, that you could only move diagonally. I'll have to try it with one of my original controllers, but yeah in LOL I could only move when pointing the analog stick diagonally.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#34 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:19 am

I'm outright not buying any new DC controllers until one adds/utilises the DC's built-in compatibility for the secondary stick. Sure officially released titles won't use it (Such as Quake 3 Arena) as they weren't built with it in mind, but then these games won't see any performance improvement with a Retrofighters or Retro-bit pad anyway. However homebrew FPS etc could utilise it, and potential mods for existing titles down the line is at least a possibility but only if the pad exists to test it with.

I have 4 official DC controllers, all still working fine. Retro-Bit controllers are exceptional (I have 2 - a Saturn and a Mega Drive wireless 2.4Ghz versions which are excellent) but wireless may be hard to justify for DC due to VMU so the only benefit would be that additional stick. No stick, no money.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#35 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:51 am

Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament support second stick

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#36 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:14 am

megavolt85 wrote:Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament support second stick

Even more reason why RetroFighters and Retro-Bit controllers make zero sense.