Dreamcast Controllers

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Amorget
rebel

Re: Dreamcast Controllers

Post#11 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:55 pm

I have a Quantum Fighter Pad and really like it.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#12 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:34 pm

So far every 3rd party controller that seemed to look cool so I took a chance with it turned out to be a cheaply made, badly designed useless piece of crap. So OEM for me.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#13 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:23 pm

I find the madcatz the most comfortable. But the quality has never really wowed me.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 pm

I've tried a few out. Some of them seemed slightly better than the DC pad in a minor respect, but the main DC pad wins out for me for all around quality.

-Madcatz pad - had a very good joystick, but the dpad was mushy and terrible and the buttons were kind of mushy
-astropad - I disliked how the joystick could "spin" on it (maybe it was just my friend's that was broken?), the design was also comically bulky but maybe that makes it cool in retrospect :lol:
-quantum fighterpad - I didn't care for the bulky design and the triggers seemed rather odd shaped and like your fingers could slip off of them when trying to press them in without making them register the input

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#15 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 pm

this guy on reddit.com got an xbox1 controller working on the dreamcast with 2 dongles... Maple is badasss
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... ource=link

Expensive setup but hey the real guys to blame is on Microsoft for not making all of the hardware they put out Dreamcast compatible!

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#16 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 pm

HOW-TO Quake 3 Online!

total_control_5_optimized.jpg
total_control_5_optimized.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 5612 times

ps.2usb.jpeg
ps.2usb.jpeg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
Attachments
pS2-Mouse_optimized.jpg
pS2-Mouse_optimized.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
Last edited by deluxux on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#17 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Though I own some 3rd-party controller(s) which I haven't tried, of all of those that I have tried, the white and blue MadCatz Dreampad is my favorite. The extra texture of the pads on the sides and the analog are really nice (one might even say luxurious) and help to prevent sweat-slip.

However, I wish that the MadCatz Dreampad's D-pad was properly aligned like other controllers instead of being turned something like 15 degrees off from a North-South alignment compared to the controller's mid-center. I also wish its face buttons were arranged in arcs like a Saturn game-pad instead of being like a standard DC game-pad yet with C and Z added at an odd steep angle.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#18 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:11 pm

deluxux wrote:HOW-TO Quake 3 Online!
ps.2usb.jpeg

it is bad option
This adapter is passive, it is only suitable for dual-mode mouse
Dual-mode mouse are very rare

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#19 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Ive seen that! Im trying legacy hardware like a madman! ALLBUSH is kiillin it on Q3! we need a 1 UP!!!

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#20 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 pm

They do make, or did make, a ps2 optical mouse.