Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
thedoctor45
lithium

Re: Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

Post#101 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:21 pm

I didn't experience any of these problems running this with my GD-EMU, but I do experience them when using DreamShell.

There don't seem to be any file size differences between the two dumps btw.

|darc|
lithium

Post#102 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:54 am

Both dumps are the exact same. The hashes match.

Here's a CDI release for those who want to play on original hardware.
45000 style layout, nothing removed or downsampled, original sort order carried over, dummied to just under 80min.

I haven't really tested it much other than loading up a single player game successfully.
https://mega.nz/#!ugVUHK5a!51PVsqXSJYXV ... NkpzKDCaJE

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#103 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:47 am

moi wrote:Has anyone checked whether it works with gdemu? Dump 2 seems to freezing on my gdemu clone, once the main menu is loaded. the fps counter seems to update from time to time but i cant move the cursor until it finally freezes.

The same problem on my GDEMU Clone.

shenhulahula
undertow

Post#104 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 am

Got the same problem with freezing cursor on USB-GDROM at the main menu. However, if I position the cursor before the freeze, I can select whatever menu button that underneath so the "clicking" seems to be there, but I'm unable to move the cursor.

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#105 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:32 am

shenhulahula wrote:Got the same problem with freezing cursor on USB-GDROM at the main menu. However, if I position the cursor before the freeze, I can select whatever menu button that underneath so the "clicking" seems to be there, but I'm unable to move the cursor.

This only seems to be happening on specific Dreamcast models - not all units are equally affected from what I was able to test. I thought it might have something to do with region specific hardware but I'm not sure anymore. Maybe it has something to do with the revision of the controller board but I'll have to so some more testing to verify that.

|darc|
lithium

Post#106 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:52 pm

seriously doubt the bug you're encountering has anything to do with the region of the console, but I could be wrong
I've tested on...

- NTSCU va1 DC with authentic GDEMU
- a different NTSCU va1 DC with clone GDEMU with controller board 839-1124 (tan top)
- that same NTSCU va1 DC with clone GDEMU with controller board 839-1169 (green top)
- yet another different NTSCU va1 DC with GD-ROM (using my CDI version)
- NTSCJ va0 DC with GD-ROM (using my CDI version)

i don't have a PAL DC handy to test with, and my dreamshell dreamcast is currently out of commission as i need to do some repairs to it.

they all work. by work i mean the game's intro plays, i press start to go to the main menu, and i can select new game, single player scenario, begin, and start the game. i haven't played beyond that because i'm not familiar with this title.

most of these tests I did with 1 standard sega controller plugged into port A with no accessories connected to the controller.
i also booted up a few of those tests with a standard VMU plugged into slot 1, no problems

streeker
fragger

Post#107 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Cursor freezing over here, as well. Tested on a PAL DC using USB-GDROM. So could this be a PAL issue?

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#108 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 pm

I tested on several NTSC-U units and it only worked on one - my PAL DC doesn't have the problem.
Doesn't make much sense tbh, but I guess we can rule out the region as possible cause.

Vill22
core

Post#109 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Seems to work fine for me on a PAL UK machine.

|darc|
lithium

Post#110 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 pm

So while watching some TV with my fiancee I realized I had another va1 DC clear blue that I gave her a while back for PSO. So I unplugged my office DC where I was testing and plugged this one directly in using the same cables etc. and this one has the controller freeze. the first one out of 5 different DC units I tested...

At this point I'm guessing
1) perhaps the culprit is a different component (e.g. different Holly revision, different RAM vendor?)
2) it may have something to do with the contents of flash memory? Most of my DCs have had their flash memory wiped recently, but this one my fiancee owns hasn't.