Force PAL Dreamcast to 60hz USB-GDROM

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Rikrok
noob

Force PAL Dreamcast to 60hz USB-GDROM

Post#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:45 pm

I have a PAL Dreamcast with a USB-GDROM which auto patches games to run as the console's region. Some US/Japanese games run at 50Hz with letterboxing, I'm looking for a way to have everything run at 60Hz.

I've been having trouble finding out how to do that. I tried the r422 mod in case it worked as information on that was sparse, it made no difference. I thought getting a mod chip would do the trick but the person selling them said they're not sure it's going to achieve what I want.

Can anyone tell me how best to do this? I don't want to use swap discs, and when I tried one (you can load a second disc in waiting with the USB-GDROM) it didn't work anyway.

I don't suppose anyone know the person who makes the USB-GDROM and can ask him to implement a force 60Hz option on the firmware? I couldn't find anyway to contact him from his site.

Thanks

Rikrok
noob

Re: Force PAL Dreamcast to 60hz USB-GDROM

Post#2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:30 pm

If anyone's interested I ended up just changing my Dreamcast to being a US one using this guide:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/dreamcast-region-change/

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:06 pm

It'd help to know what signal you're running

VGA my man. VGA

I mean welcome!

Rikrok
noob

Post#4 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Not for an RGB Scart crt tv!

Sketcz
dark night

Post#5 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Rikrok wrote:If anyone's interested I ended up just changing my Dreamcast to being a US one using this guide:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/dreamcast-region-change/

Did this work?

I am having the exact same problem. All the American and Japanese games I want to run are in 50Hz on my USB-GD! Even Soul Calibur, despite the PAL version having a 60Hz option!

I made a topic on this in the Support sub-forum, since apparently the DC-X boot disc allows forced booting in 60Hz. Is that the one you used? Which one did you try that didn't work? I don't mind disc swapping if it works.

That region change mod looks terribly difficult in such a small space. I had enough trouble soldering a new controller fuse and time keeper battery in!

So basically, did you fix your problem? Because I can't play anything in 50Hz, it's horrid.

Also, since I bought my USB-GD direct, I had the guy's email and I've just contacted him. Hopefully he responds. Apparently the rival hardware, GDEMU, allows you to force games to run in 60Hz. So it is possible with an ODE solution.

And yeah, I'm running my DC over RGB SCART to a CRT. I have no interest whatsoever in VGA. Where does one even get old CRT PC monitors? I want to use lightguns!

animekai
lithium

Post#6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:01 pm

just get a codebreaker disc or cdi, then just lauch a game without putting any cheats, or if you want put a cheat or two, codebreaker forces somehow a pal game to run in 60hz and screen centered fixed, is a good way to play pal games without patch them to ntsc.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:24 pm

:?
Dreamcast games were released that don't run at 60Hz or at least were optimized for 50Hz so they don't run slower as their 60Hz counterparts and utilize the full screen instead of displaying the image at a wrong ratio with big black borders.

The problem really isn't 50Hz anyway, but how the conversion was done. Just because it's running on 50Hz, doesn't necessarily indicate that it's 20 percent slower than the 60Hz originals

50HZ or 60HZ does not mean framerate