Shenmue series

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
JC34
lithium

Shenmue series

Post#1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Hey guys, so I had a question about the Shenmue series in general. What is so great about it? I keep hearing about it so much from every Dreamcast fan and I'm just not getting it. If you guys could tell me why it's so beloved and why it's such a great game, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Shenmue series

Post#2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Interesting question.

But to be honest, it's not just dreamcast fans. It's sega fans, non sega fans, and people who are gamers in general. Including Virtua Fighter fans. Best way to find out for yourself, is to play Shenmue and see for yourself.

I will admit, the game series is overrated to some people, but it's one of those games, that live up to it's hype and legacy. It was revolutionary for its time, set standards for open world gaming, and did stuff that people and game devs thought, was impossible to do, or program into games.

Like Shenmue, another example of a revolutionary sega game, is the famous 3d fighting game called Virtua Fighter. And even to this day, Virtua Fighter has not been equalled or surpassed yet, especially when it comes, to Virtua Fighters gameplay and combat. The interesting thing is, both Shenmue and Virtua Fighter, are sort of related in alot of ways. And both are made, by the same creator, Yu Suzuki.