Time for change another drunken rant!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Time for change another drunken rant!

Post#1 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Ok so I edited this post.
:)
Last edited by SMiTH on Fri May 01, 2020 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Time for change Dreamcast Dev, Isos, Warez, "Scene" etc.

Post#2 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 pm

uhh thanks for putting up with my parodic nonsense.
i'm thinking that i probably won't have a few drinks and become a keyboard warrior again.
Last edited by SMiTH on Fri May 01, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Looking @ ye the Randy Linden you're good mane!!!!!!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:48 pm

If this is directed at Darc or anybody over there at his forums, just know Darc recently said he has changed his mind on that throught process at least on a personal level he said he doesn't care if games are made with official SDK's or not since it is 20 years old now. He told me in a reply to my post here.

https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/n ... post-13544

Not sure if that means he will allow posts about it over at DCEmulation or not, but he has no problem with it now. OG Xbox, PSP and I believe PS3 all had official SDK's leaked and some of the best homebrew out there that really takes advantage of the hardware used them.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:20 am

I think the problem with any of the official dev kits is the docs and examples and it's not easy to port anything to thing you really have to write it from scratch and it is easier to use kos.. only thing i ever wrote on katana was loading a png image.. would of been nice to see the info on kos we have on katana dev kit as well even port api's to it to make it easier to use.. might have a go at porting sdl to then be easy to use for most people

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#6 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:41 am

It's not an issue of hoarding knowledge it's just the fact very few people play with and toy with the official sdks.

If you read the docs that come with them it's trivial to install them, get set up with tools, compile samples then boot those samples on a CDR or emulator.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

[hr][/hr]
Edit
Furthermore from what I've seen, the people that want to jump into making something for dreamcast go find those sdks, install them, don't read the docs, don't know anything about Dreamcast, then bombard with questions not even relating to the sdk. Instead they have very little or no knowledge of using c/c++ and instead ask questions relating to that. Which means even if they are handheld with basic C questions, once they get into making something / modifying the samples they will hit insurmountable walls.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 pm

very true official sdk not going to be for some one starting out there nothing ported to them not going to be running opengl or sdl or any thing else on from stock that make it easy to use or port projects to

I think it was scene as bad to use them and you get no help but it's 17 years later i think thats the point smiths making what does it matter anymore