Dreamcast Arcade Stick Compatibility List

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: Dreamcast Arcade Stick Compatibility List

Post#11 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Dino Crisis
ESPN International Track and Field
ESPN NBA 2night
All 2K sports games (Options -- Change Default controls to digital)
Resident Evil 3
Last edited by dubcity on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Does the dreamcast actually recognize the digital signals of the arcade stick as different from the dc's gamepad? I was under the impression that the arcade stick worked with basically any game that didn't require you to use the analogue joystick, even if the packaging didn't mention that it was arcade stick compatible. Naturally, though, it wouldn't be fun to use with every game.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#13 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:42 pm

dark wrote:Does the dreamcast actually recognize the digital signals of the arcade stick as different from the dc's gamepad?

arcade stick support means the game will recognize the C and Z buttons

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#14 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:11 pm

dark wrote:I was under the impression that the arcade stick worked with basically any game that didn't require you to use the analogue joystick, even if the packaging didn't mention that it was arcade stick compatible.

You are probably right. Although when I first got my mayflash arcade stick I didn't know that. I thought it would work with every game. quickly found out otherwise. That's why I went looking to see what would work. I am now using zero delay encoders in a cabinet with sanwa clone joystick and buttons.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#15 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:37 pm

From Sega Retro:

Like the Sega Saturn and Virtua Stick before it, Dreamcast consoles do not recognise the Arcade Stick as a "special" controller, so, as with the standard controller, technically works with the vast majority of Dreamcast games. However, as the stick lacks analogue controls, many games are made more difficult, if not unplayable.

For example, in Sonic Adventure, characters are moved with the analogue thumb pad. This control scheme cannot be changed, so while the Dreamcast will happily let you try, it is impossible to play the game properly with an Arcade Stick.

JetSetRadioo
shadow

Post#16 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:25 am

That's a good list! Still need to get me one of those.

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#17 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 am

I'm pretty sure I (successfully) tried Quake 3 with arcade stick/mouse combo back in the day...

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#18 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:48 am

We can add to the list the many different emulators and homebrew that use digital controls such as:

Beats of rage games
Neo Geo CD games
AES4All
Amiga
DreamFrodo
GenPlus
NesterDC
RacerDC
SNES4all
SMSPlus
DCastaway

The Ndo
rebel

Post#19 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:14 pm

I found a few games that will recognize A, B, C, X, Y Z, L & R as independent buttons on an arcade stick when you use a Saturn controller/arcade stick with an adapter:

Guilty Gear X
Vigilante 8
NFL Blitz 2001
Omnikron: The Nomad Soul

Are there any others?
Last edited by The Ndo on Sat May 01, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ndo
rebel

Post#20 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:01 pm

Star War Demolition can be played with an arcade stick, as the D-Pad can be used to steer.