Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
thedoctor45
lithium

Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#1 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:34 am

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the fundraiser for the community release of the Test Drive Cycles prototype by FatalistDC is now available on gofundme:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/test-drive-c ... -dreamcast

The owner also uploaded a short gameplay video on his YouTube channel.

The Dreamcast version was presumably cancelled in early stages of development, but there do exist videos of a nearly completed PlayStation port.

take care
doc
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Wed May 06, 2020 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#2 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:50 am

Wow. Talk about rough. There are videos of the PS1 version that look much farther along than this. There must be a newer build out there I would imagine. Unless the Dreamcast build was just slacking way behind for some reason.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#3 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

There are actually several builds of the Dreamcast version in the hands of private collectors but this one ( dated May 17, 2000) appears to be the most recent version we know of - if there are newer builds then nobody has ever talked about them.

Apparently the discs have changed hands quite a bit in the past but this is the first time anyone is actually willing to dump and release anything. About time if you ask me.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#4 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:28 am

thedoctor45 wrote:There are actually several builds of the Dreamcast version in the hands of private collectors but this one ( dated May 17, 2000) appears to be the most recent version we know of - if there are newer builds then nobody has ever talked about them.

Apparently the discs have changed hands quite a bit in the past but this is the first time anyone is actually willing to dump and release anything. About time if you ask me.

I think a guy called LeGit maybe owned a copy of this game way back, or at least had a Dev kit with it on if I remember correctly. I think he also owned Heroes of Might and Magic maybe? but I could be totally wrong.

He was a great guy when he was around hope he's still lurking somewhere :)

Hope the fundraiser goes well.

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#5 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:35 am

runkthepunk wrote:I think a guy called LeGit maybe owned a copy of this game way back, or at least had a Dev kit with it on if I remember correctly. I think he also owned Heroes of Might and Magic maybe? but I could be totally wrong.

He was a great guy when he was around hope he's still lurking somewhere :)

Hope the fundraiser goes well.

That's actually the version that is shown in the video. Fatalist bought Heroes III & Test Drive Cycles from LeGIt back in July of 2005 on the now defunct Assemblergames forum.

He told me that LeGIt was a bit disappointed when he bought the disc due to the incomplete nature of the build but still somewhat happy to have it. At around the same time there was another GD-R of the game being sold on eBay by seller Ratruby. But it was an even earlier version of LeGIt's GD-R so I can't even imagine what little content the eBay GD-R would have had (and it was being sold for a whooping $800 at the time).

Like Heroes III, TDC is a Windows CE game. It has an audio CD track with the message "This is a Dreamcast Windows CE data disk, do not play".

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#6 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Ah interesting so my mind isn't totally gone!

Yes Assembler is were I knew LeGit from as he was pretty active with his Dreamcast stuff.

I missed out on the PS3 version of gti club and it got taken offline so he gave me his login details and stuff so I could get it on my machine from his account, really generous of him.

I nearly bought his old katana dev kit and wish I had now!

Good to see the game finally getting out there :D

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Again it be nice if any of these had the source code not set in stone uncomplete

ELJarrodo
shadow

Post#8 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:39 am

This one really doesn't make sense to me what the point of the fundraiser. This is hardly a game I'd be more than willing to give money to see something that has some playability released.

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#9 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Many thanks for the unique finds and thanks for sharing them with us.
Next two strong beers less! :D
May more of this type of initiatives on Dreamcast. You have my support!

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#10 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:49 pm

Hmm, i also have a GD-R with 17th may date bought in 2010. I do not access to my collection these days but i have cropped this GD-R picture from an old photo i have to show what my copy looks like. I have not dumped it yet so i do not know is there anything else on that disk. So question is which copy is real one?...

tdcycles51700.jpg
tdcycles51700.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 8049 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBEslF01nq0