Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
sgmx
dirty sailor

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#51 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 pm

It would have been great to have a single cdi with a menu that would allow you to select the track you want to play.

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#52 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 pm

The problem is that it is not easy to do.
I had thought of making a kind of compilation that would have made it possible to choose the race and even the bike.
With hard links, it would have allowed me not to have redundant files.
The problem is that it's a wince game.
Wince games must go to the root of the CD for them to work.
With Katana games, in 95% of cases I can put them in a folder that I name as I want.
After if someone manages to offer me modified 0winceos.bin files which point to a different folder than "data", I will try to do it :)

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#53 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm

ShindouGo wrote:The problem is that it is not easy to do.
I had thought of making a kind of compilation that would have made it possible to choose the race and even the bike.
With Katana games, in 95% of cases I can put them in a folder that I name as I want.
After if someone manages to offer me modified 0winceos.bin files which point to a different folder than "data", I will try to do it :)

You can do it with ginsu or the same way you make your compilations.
bincon 0WINCEOS.BIN 1WINCEOS.BIN
rename 1winceos.bin to whatever you want .bin and use that bin to boot, remember to hack lba too. (find cd00 in hex)
you can put them in folders etc.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#54 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 pm

SMiTH wrote:
ShindouGo wrote:The problem is that it is not easy to do.

You can do it with ginsu or the same way you make your compilations.
If the wince bin must use a specific folder name for root, hex edit 0winceos.bin to use different named folders.
I have done that b4, it will work sometimes..
try it and see?
:D

Code: Select all

bincon 0WINCEOS.BIN 1WINCEOS.BIN

rename 1winceos.bin to whatever you want .bin and hack lba too. (find cd00 in hex)
you can put data in whatever folders etc.
you don't have to worry about editing ip.bin for sega OS since the ip.bin will be booting 1st_read instead.
think about it, how else was sega swirl added to odcm, or any other wince game added to an official demo multidisk?

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#55 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:42 pm

thedoctor45 wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the fundraiser for the community release of the Test Drive Cycles prototype by FatalistDC is now available on gofundme:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/test-drive-c ... -dreamcast

The owner also uploaded a short gameplay video on his YouTube channel.

The Dreamcast version was presumably cancelled in early stages of development, but there do exist videos of a nearly completed PlayStation port.

take care
doc

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks, I will test it in Dreamshell with IDE HDD !
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#56 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:11 am

No it doesn't work like that with wince games to add to compilations.
We cannot put them in a folder otherwise the game will not work.
They should be at the root of the disc.
The only way is to successfully modify the 0winceos.bin file so that it no longer looks in the 'data' folder containing the game data but in another folder.
I remind you that the principle for Test Drive Cycles is to modify the content of a folder and replace it with the content of another folder so that it launches another race.
Go see this compilation made by the Russians offering 2 wince games (the 2 Worms games) where there are 2 folders : a 'data' folder and another that they modified by calling it 'dato'
It is a compilation that I would have liked to make but my knowledge did not allow it ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1rtzxjmlz ... ms.7z/file

Edit: I just understood what you meant. It is true that instead of modifying the 'data' folder, we could just modify the target folder containing the right race or the right bike. In any case it requires knowing reverse engineering which I do not yet master.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#57 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:31 am

ShindouGo wrote:Edit: I just understood what you meant. It is true that instead of modifying the 'data' folder, we could just modify the target folder containing the right race or the right bike. In any case it requires knowing reverse engineering which I do not yet master.

What if it doesn't require anything technical and all you do is change a string in hex from /DATA to /0001 ? or something simple.
Keep the exact amount of characters that were originally used in ascii but instead replace them with /0001 , /0002 , /0003 , etc.

I have not looked at the test drive cycles files yet...but if each one of these cdi's were made for all the various maps, you should be able to put all the files in /DATA folder (make copies of the wince main bin and change the name) (ex:001.bin, 002.bin, 003.bin and in ginsu target each one, they will all be located root /DATA) then edit the string to target a specific map folder for each bin. (ex: in 001.bin change string from /DATA/WTF/map00.wtf to /DATA/001/map00.wtf, in 002.bin change string etc etc) or something simple like that? these strings might even be in the main.exe file? again I am just guessing here since I have yet to view the files.

I bet it can be done with a hex editor and asm wizardry is not needed lol.
But idk?

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#58 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:27 am

I haven't looked either but I think it just changed the contents of the folder containing the base race to the contents of another folder containing another race.
On the Obscure Gamers forum, Sizious specifies that this is the 'DC' folder which contains the basic race.
After for information, I already thought of searching in ASCII for the name of the 'Data' folder with a hexadecimal editor: I did not find it.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#59 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:59 pm

ShindouGo wrote:I haven't looked either but I think it just changed the contents of the folder containing the base race to the contents of another folder containing another race..

I just looked at the files.

More than likely all that you need to do is...

\data\tracks folder only keep the dc folder, terrain.ini, vssver.scc
Remove all other track folders, this will make each version around 56mb.
So on the next version you want to make, swap the dc folder contents with another track folder contents etc.
This will allow you to create a compilation of 10 versions of the game, each using a different track.
Use bincon and hack lba.

*you could also swap bike models in the \data\bikes folder

another method might be to...

Edit the folder names for tracks in the TDCYCLES.EXE found in the WINCE folder

one of these should work?

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#60 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Has there been any progress trying to combine all these?