Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#31 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:51 pm

Under 1 month and 120€ to fund a digital dump of a burnt CD. With data of an incomplete game.

I demand all donators have physical access to this disc If they so wish.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#32 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:24 am

Why such negativity to this? This is not a new thing, there have been group buys into dumping unreleased games for the DC many times over the past 20 years. What do you mean physical access to the disc? Isn't a dump good enough?

Does anybody remember Geist Force? That was a total shit show and a large part of the reason that Assembler's site died. He took ages to get the physical copy out. This was way different, and sure there is no physical copy, but not enough interest was given to this unlike Geist Force. I don't have to remind you that you don't have to donate to these things. Let people who want to do so to benefit the rest of the community.

This really brought out the bad in people when it should be celebrated that we have a new game never released on the console that was completely canceled. Not sure how a few people donating towards helping reimburse a small FRACTION of the price that the guy paid for the game. If I remember correctly the last game he released cost him $600 back when he bought it. Naturally he would want to be reimbursed his money he spent for it. Unreleased betas like this get secretly traded and sold to collectors all the time and we have no idea of their existence, only to be lost forever if something happens to the guy who bought the sole copy, or his house burns down with it.

So why in the world get mad over something that doesn't affect you? If you didn't donate do you even really have any skin in the game? Come on bro, no reason to be salty about the way this was handled. It was a copy of a game which was never previously released.

I didn't even donate towards this, but I am not going to berate the guy for asking for a donation to dump it. Just be thankful it was successful and the guy dumped it at all. Cool, you don't like beta games that are not 100% complete. Well I do and others do who like this kind of stuff. I thought you out of all people would like to archive this considering what all you have done for the community over the years.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#33 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:40 am

thedoctor45 wrote:
deluxux wrote:So crazy how people jump to buy some buggy crap alpha game while our Homebrew and Indie devs go hungry.

Lol, I'm sorry but where did you see people "jumping" to donate for this release? It took a whole month to get funded and barely made it to 10€ in its first week. Also if it wasn't for me lowering the threshold and one of my good friends chipping in by donating half of the required sum, this would surely never have made its goal within a reasonale amount of time...

Don't let him get under your skin. Seems to be bitter and aggressive just to be bitter and aggressive. Good job getting this released. It was probably hard with the problems going on today. Back in the day people probably chipped in instantly. It's actually amazing there's a lot more levels considering how unfinished it appears. It's a great piece of Dreamcast history.

colgate
Doom

Post#34 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:26 am

Thank you so much for realising this!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#35 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:23 am

No the people that are willing to "donate" get nothing except a basic MediaFire link? Doesn't seem right. I would never donate unless the disc is going to a museum or public place where everyone can enjoy it. Only a few donators I'm sure it would be easy to do.

The Scheme
1. Buy a game
2. Wait 15+ years
3. Start a GoFundMe & collect 105%
3. Get a free DreamCast
4. Sell the disc on eBay
5. Profit

If I'm the only one with a negative opinion about this practice, so be it. Don't support these resellers and just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them bitter or aggressive. I'm not mad I just want a better world for you baby girl.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#36 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:48 am

There is no way deluxux is bitter or aggressive he is one of the nicest people in the scene

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#37 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:55 am

deluxux - no offense.
This is my money and I can spend it what I want. I do not understand why these negative comments.
Ahh I think I wrote it before.
Why doesn't anyone hate Falco Girgis? Where did the thousands of dollars that went into the Kickstarter project and people were cheated?
For my part, I thank the guys for sharing this version - it can be full of bugs. I just love the Dreamcast console and I like to support interesting ideas. I do not feel cheated in any way I got what I expected.
Cheers.

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#38 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:06 am

deluxux wrote:No the people that are willing to "donate" get nothing except a basic MediaFire link? Doesn't seem right. I would never donate unless the disc is going to a museum or public place where everyone can enjoy it. Only a few donators I'm sure it would be easy to do.

The Scheme
1. Buy a game
2. Wait 15+ years
3. Start a GoFundMe & collect 105%
3. Get a free DreamCast
4. Sell the disc on eBay
5. Profit

If I'm the only one with a negative opinion about this practice, so be it. Don't support these resellers and just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them bitter or aggressive. I'm not mad I just want a better world for you baby girl.

Fine, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but if you're criticising people then at least try to get your facts straight.

1. He didn't wait to release it - I convinced him to do it - he never had any plans for releasing or selling these games before I contacted him.
2. The gofundme was set at less than 50% of the total price he paid for it back in the day
3. I'm not sure what you're referring to here but if you mean the modded Dreamcast I sent him to rip the games, that was a bonus as part of another deal I made with him when I sold him my MSR Alpha GD-R for 500$ last year.
4. I'm pretty sure he has no intention of ever actually selling any of the physical discs from his collection in the near future.
5. Not really - he barely broke even all things considered.

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#39 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:39 am

I think the reason for the negativity is the lack of information about what was being offered. I would have put more money in had we known about these additional files but that was not anything we knew about. I feel like people would be less negative if these campaigns were more detailed and informative. Hard to get our facts straight if we aren't offered any in the first place.

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#40 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Woodneeded wrote:I think the reason for the negativity is the lack of information about what was being offered. I would have put more money in had we known about these additional files but that was not anything we knew about. I feel like people would be less negative if these campaigns were more detailed and informative. Hard to get our facts straight if we aren't offered any in the first place.

Well, people could have asked instead of just assuming random things that support their opinion. I don't think it's my job to disclose every little detail about what was going on behind the scenes - regarding the contents of the discs I was as uninformed as everybody else since i did not have access to the actual files prior to creating the fundraisers. I think the community needs to be a little more faithful towards these types of things.