Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
thedoctor45
lithium
Posts: 37

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#11 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:29 pm

ELJarrodo wrote:This one really doesn't make sense to me what the point of the fundraiser. This is hardly a game I'd be more than willing to give money to see something that has some playability released.


I guess the point is to preserve unreleased games and subsequently make them available to a broader audience, no matter how playable they are.

VasiliyRS wrote:Hmm, i also have a GD-R with 17th may date bought in 2010. I do not access to my collection these days but i have cropped this GD-R picture from an old photo i have to show what my copy looks like. I have not dumped it yet so i do not know is there anything else on that disk. So question is which copy is real one?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBEslF01nq0


That's funny cause I found pictures of 2 more discs with the same build date - maybe it's possible that someone made duplicates of that particular build and sold them off to other collectors for profit.

Test Drive Cycles (May 17, 2000 prototype).jpg
Test Drive Cycles (May 17, 2000 prototype).jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 1211 times


Test Drive Cycles (May 17, 2000 prototype 2).png

User avatar
Anthony817
Shark Patrol
Posts: 3097

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#12 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 pm

I have been waiting for this to get released for years. My friend atreyu187 used to own a copy of this game too. He sold his off years back not sure to who. When I asked him why he never dumped it like he did with all of his other betas, he said because there was not much of a game to begin with. But still with him dumping so many hundreds of betas of games over the years most of released ones, you would wonder why not do the same with this no matter how incomplete...
Image

beanboy
Vagabond
Posts: 784

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#13 » Sat May 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Anthony817 wrote:When I asked him why he never dumped it like he did with all of his other betas, he said because there was not much of a game to begin with. But still with him dumping so many hundreds of betas of games over the years most of released ones, you would wonder why not do the same with this no matter how incomplete...

Aye. Good point.

SMiTH
Metallic
Posts: 854

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#14 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:51 pm

I'm willing to bet there are other betas, tech demos, prototypes out there that have been copied multiple times and sold between collectors. More than likely there have been people that have copied dumped disks that are available publicly and then changed the date on the front of gd-rom disk to look like it is a different build etc. For that matter some1 could even modify data on the disk to make it look like it has different data/date modified etc. It would be hard to trust what you are buying was authentic unless it was compared to known builds or obviously if it was one of a kind. Either way I look forward to having a .cdi of test drive cycles.

mstar
core
Posts: 129

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#15 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:04 am

ELJarrodo wrote:This one really doesn't make sense to me what the point of the fundraiser. This is hardly a game I'd be more than willing to give money to see something that has some playability released.


That is certainly debatable, at least as far as the game's state is considered.

Also to be considered is that he probably didn't just stumble upon the discs but has himself bought them with his money, which he's now looking to recoup...


Anyways, i will not be pledging this time - not because of the game itself, no, because of the absolutely piss-poor handling of the last fundraiser...

They couldn't be bothered to at least notify the people who have pledged that the fundraiser

- has ended
- was successful
- where to grab the files

nothing of that - i'd consider that the absolute bare minimum out of any fundraiser campaign, whether i pledge 5€ or 500€ (or $ or....)

After the fundraiser had ended, all they managed to do is put up a link to download the files in the campaign description. And no, i'm not even pissed that everyone else could (i.e. people who didn't participate in the fundraiser itself) grab the files at the same time as donors.

The absolute bare minimum they could've done is _one fucking email_ >:(

thedoctor45
lithium
Posts: 37

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#16 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:20 am

Honestly, I'm baffled at how much criticism these fundraisers have spawned.

My only intention was to do the community a favor but I guess nowadays most people are just too self-entitled to really appreciate the effort that went into getting these games out there.

If you wanted e-mail notifications, then you could have mentioned that in the comments, which I would have responded to btw, instead of swearing around now and rejecting further support.

I even went so far as to send physical copies of the game to people who donated more than 30€ fyi.

Nobody is exclusively entitled to these games - the fundraiser was labeled as a community release after all and as such the whole comunity has the same rights to the game as the people who donated, which was the reason why the links were shared publicly on the fundraiser info as well as various Dreamcast news outlets instead of privately via e-mail.

colgate
fire
Posts: 71

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#17 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:00 am

Hey doc thanks for the betas, it's a wonderful trip to the past going through them! Even if they are just a Poc or a preview, it's nice to see and confirm what was in the works back in the day!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

thedoctor45
lithium
Posts: 37

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#18 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:52 pm

colgate wrote:Hey doc thanks for the betas, it's a wonderful trip to the past going through them! Even if they are just a Poc or a preview, it's nice to see and confirm what was in the works back in the day!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk


Thanks for the support colgate and thanks to everyone who donated so far!

User avatar
Rolly
dark night
Posts: 57
Contact:

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#19 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:31 pm

I don't understand why these are negative comments? Because someone didn't get the stupid meil? Someone was cheated? No.
Maybe go to the Elysian Shadows team and ask them what they did with thousands of dollars ...
I thank the guys that they want to share the cool BETA versions and I will gladly add a few euros. Respect and keep up a good work ;)
Image Image Image Image Image

SEGA-SKY Portal : http://sega.c0.pl/
Dreamcast hacks & translations projects on:
http://sega.c0.pl/romhacking_mods_translation.html

Alexislight
undertow
Posts: 33

Re: Test Drive Cycles community fundraiser now live

Post#20 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 pm

thedoctor45 wrote:Honestly, I'm baffled at how much criticism these fundraisers have spawned.

My only intention was to do the community a favor but I guess nowadays most people are just too self-entitled to really appreciate the effort that went into getting these games out there.

If you wanted e-mail notifications, then you could have mentioned that in the comments, which I would have responded to btw, instead of swearing around now and rejecting further support.

I even went so far as to send physical copies of the game to people who donated more than 30€ fyi.

Nobody is exclusively entitled to these games - the fundraiser was labeled as a community release after all and as such the whole comunity has the same rights to the game as the people who donated, which was the reason why the links were shared publicly on the fundraiser info as well as various Dreamcast news outlets instead of privately via e-mail.

Hey man, not all the people think same. you are great and the proto too, thanks for contribuying to the comunity! (ok, my english is rusty)

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users