32MB RAM upgrade

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
tsowell
rebel

Re: 32MB RAM upgrade

Post#31 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:05 am

ChristinaDreamcustDC wrote:tsowell, can you give examples of a couple games that start and play fine, at least for a little bit? Have there been any noticeable changes in other games, including crashing, glitches, etc?

I'm not in a great position to do this because I've already made some other modifications to my 32MB Dreamcast. I need to put together a fresh 32MB motherboard before I can do anything scientific. I've mostly been using my 32MB Dreamcast with my ScummVM backend which runs fine and takes advantage of the upper 16MB of RAM.

But I grabbed a stack from my collection and tried each one out for 2-3 minutes. Here are the results (all NTSC-U unless otherwise noted):

No problems:
Shenmue
Virtua Tennis
Sturmwind
Dead or Alive 2 (NTSC-J)
Soul Calibur
Jet Grind Radio
Seaman
The Typing of the Dead

Problems:
Space Channel 5: plays fine, but instead of FMV background, just a black plane
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater: displays trademark screen (Tony Hawk's, not the SEGA one) and hangs there
NFL 2K1: blank screen, doesn't run

I wonder if there's some common FMV code that isn't working.

No theories, but an observation: one thing that we know will crash a 32MB Dreamcast, but not a 16MB Dreamcast, is setting the MCR's AMX bits to 4.

zgoro
noob

Re: 32MB RAM upgrade

Post#32 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Which other parts would need to be upgraded in order to turn it into a NAOMI board?