32MB RAM upgrade

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
|darc|
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online v2

Re: 32MB RAM upgrade

Post by |darc| »

MastaG wrote:So I have a Dreamcast with two flashable tsop's and a switch.
First one has Japanse cake's bios and the second one has the DreamShell loader.

This should make it easy, as you could boot from the DreamShell bios up front and flash the 32MB bios in the other chip.

Then replace the ram chips and flip the switch to boot from from the 32MB bios.
Finally while booted into DreamShell, flip the switch once more to flash the 32MB DreamShell bios in the first chip.

Is there anybody willing to do the upgrade for me?
As I dont have a hot air soldering station
Yeah, dual BIOS is the best way to go before doing this mod. Personally I like to remove the stock ROM and replace with MX29L3211, it's twice the size of the Dreamcast BIOS, and by wiring a simple switch to the highest address line, you can basically create a double-bank setup. I use a 32MB region free BIOS for the first bank, and DreamBoot BIOS on the second bank with an updated dcload-ip, so I can basically boot into dcload-ip from ROM quickly and easily.

If you're comfortable doing the mod but you just lack a hot air station, I recommend trying out Fast Chip alloy, it's basically a low temperature melt solder, you apply it to both sides of the existing RAM chip and they stay melted simultaneously and you can lift the chip off the board. Then you clean the pads (be careful not to lift any of them when applying heat) and install your new chips.

Just remember as of right now, any game that plays Sofdec FMV will likely crash. 4XM videos (e.g. from Headhunter) work fine though. I only use this DC for dev work and some occasional Crazy Taxi in the office, so it isn't a problem for me. I keep another DC with DCDigitalv2/GDEMU/Noctua fan in the living room for actual gaming. I hope in the future we can figure out how to patch this problem, possibly having dreamshell's isoldr patch games on the fly

MastaG
Quad Damage

Re: 32MB RAM upgrade

Post by MastaG »

|darc| wrote:
MastaG wrote:So I have a Dreamcast with two flashable tsop's and a switch.
First one has Japanse cake's bios and the second one has the DreamShell loader.

This should make it easy, as you could boot from the DreamShell bios up front and flash the 32MB bios in the other chip.

Then replace the ram chips and flip the switch to boot from from the 32MB bios.
Finally while booted into DreamShell, flip the switch once more to flash the 32MB DreamShell bios in the first chip.

Is there anybody willing to do the upgrade for me?
As I dont have a hot air soldering station
Yeah, dual BIOS is the best way to go before doing this mod. Personally I like to remove the stock ROM and replace with MX29L3211, it's twice the size of the Dreamcast BIOS, and by wiring a simple switch to the highest address line, you can basically create a double-bank setup. I use a 32MB region free BIOS for the first bank, and DreamBoot BIOS on the second bank with an updated dcload-ip, so I can basically boot into dcload-ip from ROM quickly and easily.

If you're comfortable doing the mod but you just lack a hot air station, I recommend trying out Fast Chip alloy, it's basically a low temperature melt solder, you apply it to both sides of the existing RAM chip and they stay melted simultaneously and you can lift the chip off the board. Then you clean the pads (be careful not to lift any of them when applying heat) and install your new chips.

Just remember as of right now, any game that plays Sofdec FMV will likely crash. 4XM videos (e.g. from Headhunter) work fine though. I only use this DC for dev work and some occasional Crazy Taxi in the office, so it isn't a problem for me. I keep another DC with DCDigitalv2/GDEMU/Noctua fan in the living room for actual gaming. I hope in the future we can figure out how to patch this problem, possibly having dreamshell's isoldr patch games on the fly
Well I have only one Dreamcast, but I after reading it through, I think I can pull it off.
If I flash the 32MB bios up front, I can just take my time to replace the two chips.
If I understand correctly:
All pins should be soldered to the board, except for:
- pin 22 should be soldered to pin 23 and they should both connect to pad 23
- pin 21 should be soldered to pad 22
If I manage to mess it up, I know somebody not too far who might be able to do it for me :)

I think I'll get the chips, but wait a while for somebody to take the time and hack the sofdec player.