(hidden?) software reset

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anonymouse
Outtrigger

(hidden?) software reset

Post#1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi there. when playing around with my new Retro Fighers pad I found a key combination on the controller that takes you back to the start of the game or back to the DC bios if you press the combinations again. press L+R+A+B+X+Y+start all at once and it will take you back to the start of the game and back to the DC BIOS if you press again. Note that not all games I have tried will take you to the start of the game, instead straight to the BIOS.

Is this commonly known?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

ChristinaDreamcustDC
letterbomb

Re: (hidden?) software reset

Post#2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:34 pm

It is known well among some groups of people. Some homebrew software makes use of that too. I believe Bleemcast lets you use this to get back to the Bleemcast menu, which you could use on a self boot Bleemcast game to essentially use it as a Bleemcast boot disc as long as you also open the disc cover right after the Bleemcast background after your soft reset. I don't know how many of you use that with Bleemcast...

The technique you found is commonly known as soft reset, and performing the action is known as "soft resetting."

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Ancient wild-spread knowledge ^.^

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 pm

is standart IGR (In Game Reset) combination

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Anonymouse wrote:Hi there. when playing around with my new Retro Fighers pad I found a key combination on the controller that takes you back to the start of the game or back to the DC bios if you press the combinations again. press L+R+A+B+X+Y+start all at once and it will take you back to the start of the game and back to the DC BIOS if you press again. Note that not all games I have tried will take you to the start of the game, instead straight to the BIOS.

Is this commonly known?

Actually its just A+B+X+Y+Start :) i think its listed in manual as console reset since sega removed reset button on dreamcast.

Fun tip, For Sega Saturn A+B+C+Start works to reset many saturn games too.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#6 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 pm

I read this in the Dreamcast manual.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:30 pm

It's easy to make accidental menu selections with it gah!!@#

Wished more used the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys.. I think I can count two titles that use this

christuserloeser
shadow

Post#8 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Xiden wrote:Fun tip, For Sega Saturn A+B+C+Start works to reset many saturn games too.

And Mega CD as well.

ChristinaDreamcustDC
letterbomb

Post#9 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:32 pm

mistamontiel wrote:It's easy to make accidental menu selections with it gah!!@#

Wished more used the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys.. I think I can count two titles that use this

I have a different issue: when I start button mashing I eventually soft reset the Dreamcast.

I remember once when I was using an older MAME disc and I couldn't figure out how to open the menu to rotate the screen. I had about 50-66.7% chance to find out how to bring up the menu or else I'd hit soft reset with my button mashing. Because I was button mashing I didn't know what buttons were bringing up the menu and eventually I'd reset everything again.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:10 pm

Dpending on port of mame if it's something i did it's start and up or start and right trigger..