Cheapest way to manage a faulty Dreamcast ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
kremiso
Rank 9

Cheapest way to manage a faulty Dreamcast ?

Post#1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:25 am

hi guys

i have a not working pal Dreamcast, with a dead gd-rom unit (it does not recognize anything, anymore)
it is also a model with overheating issues

was wondering to reconvert this at least as a test machine, if possible without sell any of my organs lol

what you think would be the cheapest way to let this work again?
or maybe it's just better search directly for another one?

-- EDIT -- just noticed that i probably miss the correct place to post this, it would go on SUPPORT subforum sorry
Last edited by kremiso on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Cheapest way to manage a faulty Dreamcast ?

Post#2 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:00 am

Well i guess you have done the laser fix adjustment.. can get some more life out of it that way.. Also next would be gdemu overheating i dont know much about never seen this in any dreamcast i had..

Testmachine for coding you still need the drive to work to load up the dctool ip

I would say gdemu time for that one..

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#3 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Well i guess you have done the laser fix adjustment...

sadly yes, i gained other 4/5 years of extra life lol

about the overheating, i got that model at european first launch release, that's probably the cause, not sure at all
the internal power unit becomes an oven, after 20-30 mins gameplay

was also thinking, an sd adapter would require a new gdrom/gdemu too? asking because i'm completely noob in materia

also, if someone have some good sites links to share about hardware parts, i mean to avoid disappointments,
please share (via pm if cannot be posted directly) thanks
Last edited by kremiso on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm

overheating issues? Does the fan turn?? Im sure you can bring the old girl back in to action, if not: there are many good homes for her
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#5 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:47 am

Anonymouse wrote:overheating issues? Does the fan turn?? Im sure you can bring the old girl back in to action, if not: there are many good homes for her

i have put it at rest, from a year now, but yes, the fan worked normally
prob some cheap component in the power board, if i would have the possibility to test directly another power board unit...

basically i'm stuck in the position that i'm not sure if worth it, despite search for another DC model directly
economically, not a good moment for me atm lol