a lost cause

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
georgiaboi372
lithium

Re: a lost cause

Post#31 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 pm

deluxux wrote:Don't worry about the firmware, Its a procedure you wont and can't do with a clone.
You connect online with the web browser disc just like before.
Obviously you need a modem+LVI, PC-DC server or DreamPi or a BBA.

so basically i can't use the Gdemu to go online, gotcha .

when using multiple disc files ? how is that organized properly when implementing it on the SD Card ? take Shenmue for example

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#32 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Ha! Far from duh troof mane xP

Getting yer Dreamcast live with DreamPi supports every medium, not matter what you play offa

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#33 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 pm

No the Gdemu just replaces the disc drive, you would boot up some web browser or a game that goes online after you have the needed hardware.

Most multi disc games let you save and quit when you switch discs, (Save the game, power off, reboot into disc 2) I think only 1 game D2 does not allow you to save and quit they want you to hotswap the disc, well that doesn't work.

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#34 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:18 am

hello , back with another question haha .
do i have to use the Gdemu SD Card Maker (GDEMU_SD 1.10.rar)??
i ask because as much as i want to use it to knock out load times . i don't think i will be able to because my Macbook Pro will not open the program. i downloaded it out of curiosity and it's being prevented from opening..

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#35 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:21 am

You don't have to use it but sure makes it nice.
Can't run it on Mac (honestly it hardly runs on windows) I don't use Windows I use virtual box and run the tool like that. Here's another tool that does the same thing but newer. https://github.com/sonik-br/GDMENUCardManager

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#36 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:58 am

gdemu is cheaper. i found a clone for 55 us dollars compared to 199 us dollars for mode.

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#37 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm

deluxux wrote:You don't have to use it but sure makes it nice.
Can't run it on Mac (honestly it hardly runs on windows) I don't use Windows I use virtual box and run the tool like that. Here's another tool that does the same thing but newer. https://github.com/sonik-br/GDMENUCardManager

cool I’ll see if this works for Mac . does it take away load time ? that’s the only reason why I’m considering using it . cause I don’t mind manually organizing the card .

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#38 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Not for the Mac, just the only updated/active tool
True, only for loading times on boot up. you can just copy and paste a game to folder 01 and it boots right up,
It takes 100ms-150ms to scan each folder (set this time in the GDEMU.INI)
On a 256gb sd card with 250 games on it it will take 25-38 seconds to boot
Seems like forever on a console that normally boots instant but really not bad by todays standards in the land of the PS4 and Xbox3

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#39 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:12 pm

deluxux wrote:Not for the Mac, just the only updated/active tool
True, only for loading times on boot up. you can just copy and paste a game to folder 01 and it boots right up,
It takes 100ms-150ms to scan each folder (set this time in the GDEMU.INI)
On a 256gb sd card with 250 games on it it will take 25-38 seconds to boot
Seems like forever on a console that normally boots instant but really not bad by todays standards in the land of the PS4 and Xbox3

does picopsu require any soldering during installation?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#40 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:47 am

Roareye wrote:What about the Terraonion MODE? Surely easier to get a hold of than a GDEMU.

I'm still running on discs atm, but plan to find a workaround eventually. Is there a reason people would go with the GDEMU over the MODE?

Let me do the math here... One can be had for $40 and WIDELY available, the other for $200 and still unproven... Sure, people like madlittlepixel reviewed it, but man, it is nice but $200 is still a grip for those on a budget.