Possible new movie format idea.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dave_van_damn
killer

Re: Possible new movie format idea.

Post#11 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:10 am

I would LOVE a VCD player bootdisc which allows for fast forward/rewind. VC/DC is fantastic but no ff/rw function. http://dcevolution.sourceforge.net/index.php?id=vcdc
aka DavidHK on DC games.

deluxux
Metallic

Post#12 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:09 am

swapping discs is lame, we have newer modern methods in the works but this maybe the easiest to get up and running

deluxux
Metallic

Post#13 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 am

fuzzcast.com

mrneo240
Nemesis

Post#14 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:49 am

I hear fuzz doesn't have play pause, is this true?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#15 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 am

mrneo240 wrote:I hear fuzz doesn't have play pause, is this true?

No it dont pretty much a katana sample no nothing just plays like a fmv in a game

Same thing with gypsy play the first version I think people have forgot about it and plays mpeg just fine
Uses the wince devkit fuzzcast using katana sample

vcd movies as well just wince sample modded

GypPlay: Lik Sang Edition (v2.0) - VCD/MPEG-1 Player for the Dreamcast
Released: 01-Mar-2001
By: The Gypsy
Info: Burn this to a disc along with your MPEG-1 video(s) and watch them on your Dreamcast. Features include: standard motion controls (pause, rewind, fast-forward), analog-stick controlled variable-speed REW/FF, auto-search and play, file browser, VMU output, etc. View the README/NFO for more details.
Download Full Version: GypPlay_LikSangEdition.zip

http://www.boob.co.uk/files/GypPlay_LikSangEdition.zip

I use to use it back in the day

Player by josh pretty much the best with some simple mods to it recompile it even using know how from Dreamhal will speed it up.. pretty much the fastest right now using opengl not software like most of these players.. Using old opengl just think if it was using Gldc i think it would really improve it .. using fast path anyways

bit rate for it really only limited by the speed of disk access or thats what josh said.. I try compile it one day just got other things to do.. since it plays almost all music formats proper video formats and can boot wince and homebrew with pvr grafix could be all in one media center for dreamcast the hardwork is done in it..

ChristinaDreamcustDC
photon blast

Post#16 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 am

mrneo240 wrote:Someone today mentioned today movies on dc.

I was thinking of attempting a new format and using public domain movies and footage.

Any interest? I won't have anything for a week but would something like this be interesting for anyone?

The final format would be cdi and able to be burned, but should also work on a gdemu or whatever too.

If you could make sure the video format is natively viewable by Windows too, that would be nice. FuZzCasT videos in SFD format for me don't play in Windows for more than a minute, and you can't jump forward in time either. If you can make sure the audio container plays in Windows too, that would be good.

shenhulahula
rebel

Post#17 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 am

Would video work more smooth on GDEMU/USB-GDROM compared to CD-R/GD-ROM due to loading times being better?
If so, could there be one format optimized for GDEMU/USB-GDROM and another format for real discs? Or does it not work that way?

mrneo240
Nemesis

Post#18 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:57 pm

ChristinaDreamcustDC wrote:
mrneo240 wrote:Someone today mentioned today movies on dc.

I was thinking of attempting a new format and using public domain movies and footage.

Any interest? I won't have anything for a week but would something like this be interesting for anyone?

The final format would be cdi and able to be burned, but should also work on a gdemu or whatever too.

If you could make sure the video format is natively viewable by Windows too, that would be nice. FuZzCasT videos in SFD format for me don't play in Windows for more than a minute, and you can't jump forward in time either. If you can make sure the audio container plays in Windows too, that would be good.

It won't be

mrneo240
Nemesis

Post#19 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:59 pm

shenhulahula wrote:Would video work more smooth on GDEMU/USB-GDROM compared to CD-R/GD-ROM due to loading times being better?
If so, could there be one format optimized for GDEMU/USB-GDROM and another format for real discs? Or does it not work that way?

It would be for cdrs first, since that's that largest market

Nz17
Roadster

Post#20 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am