What indie games on PC do you want to see on DC?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dubcity
Super Sonic

What indie games on PC do you want to see on DC?

Post#1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35 am

What indie games from PC do you want to see on DC? If we find something that we all agree on then maybe we can hound the devs for a DC port.

Criteria
small enough to fit one or two cd
2d or 3d graphics the dc might be able to handle
price range most of the community would be willing to spend

I like these:

Swords and Soldiers from Ronimo Games
300MB game
10.99 on steam with dlc included

Jets n guns
110MB game
6.99 on steam (gold version)

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Re: What indie games on PC do you want to see on DC?

Post#2 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 pm

Very good ones. I like SOR Remake 5.1 (Freware but much better than SOR 4 and maybe possible)
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 am

Most Touhou games :D
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#4 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:37 am

many :)

if it's possible to nominate also some not recent ones, then the first two that come in mind atm are
Metroid am2r ,and Braid

Neo-dreamer
dark night

Post#5 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:23 am

Sonic Mania
Streets of Rage 4
Touhou series
Melty Blood title

jadelocked
lithium

Post#6 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:27 pm

My wish list for Dreamcast is 99% Touhou. My priority is to get Touhou 6 working somehow.

Touhou 9 with online multiplayer!!!!!!!!! for dreamcast! would be amazing someday.

Touhou 6, 7, 8, and yes 9 are fully compatible with Windows 98. There is a video on Youtube right now by "bub hub" called "Windows 98... on 4MB RAM" and it shows that Windows 98 can run on 8mb or even 4mb ram , 4mb has problems with graphics driver but I think it can work on Dreamcast if one could prioritize the right drivers for games and trade for not loading another driver that isn't used during games. Touhou doesn't even need mouse or keyboard so maybe this can save time/space for making it work steadily at full speed.

I really want to try this. How to even try to boot Windows 98 on Dreamcast? Maybe the SD card serial port? I saw a video of LinusTechTips running Windows 10 from a SD card, so it could be possible to run old Windows on old SD port. If I had a guide I would try it, have no idea what to do just been dying to play Touhou ever since I heard about Dreamcast. I almost bought a Raspberry Pi instead
Last edited by jadelocked on Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:46 pm

I agree Touhou series would be welcomed. DC has an established indie community, and is a hot spot for STGs, and the technical demands are reasonable.

The second group I would like to see are music games. Something like Muse Dash would be a blast. Alternatively, there are a few Hatsune Miku: Project Diva clones that I think could be do-able like Xbeat or Project Heartbeat.

My third proposal would be some sort of RTS or Simulation game. I think DC retail library is somewhat lacking in strategy and simulation titles. Unfortunately these things are complicated and the Dreamcast also has it's own challenges and technical requirements. Maybe Dwarf Fortess could debut here... just sayin'.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

jadelocked
lithium

Post#8 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:51 am

I have no idea if the creator of Touhou would be interested in a Dreamcast port; I don't know how indie stuff works, especially sharing profits and a lot of the indie games I like are free anyway like Battle for Wesnoth so not sure how one would port that and then charge for it; So I know we're talking about indie here but I have low expectations for a Touhou RELEASE but I would definitely pay if it ever happened, although I would make sure the creator is supported and not cut out of the process. I have now discovered a Windows 98 install called 98lite which may possibly work for Dreamcast if a custom install can be made on an SD card and booted through Dreamcast serial port with a boot disc or something like that. The custom install version called 98micro would be the best for offline games because it removes all HTML functionality from Windows 9X. That would mean no online multiplayer, but that can be a question for later. Touhou 6 is 1 player so I'll try this first if I can figure it out .
This could open the potential of running all Windows 98 games, all those games that nobody can play anymore on newer versions of Windows, I would rather just get a Dreamcast instead of buying a year 2000 laptop. Aren't the Warcraft games this way? It would be great to try them and see what the magic of Dreamcast can do. For RTS games it would also be cool to have online or offline multiplayer.
(Actually I think PC98 games work on Dreamcast already which means Touhou 1-5 should already work or be testable. I will test when I get around to it.)

And I love your suggestions especially
Dwarf Fortress
I'm sure Dreamcast could do it, and it would be the deepest game. I'm happy if people get to play a superior version of this game especially since it means they will be spending a lot of time on it, they may as well take the time to see if it's better on Dreemcast.

I like this indie game too:
Battle for Wesnoth (multiplayer PC crossplay maybe? the solo game alone is extensive with many RPG campaigns)

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#9 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:03 pm

- Sonic Mania (https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Son ... ompilation)
- Carmageddon 1 and Splat Pack (https://github.com/dethrace-labs/dethrace)

And Carmageddon 2 if it's ever going to be reverse engineered.