World Series Baseball 2K2 & GDEMU?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

World Series Baseball 2K2 & GDEMU?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Recently bit the bullet and finally got a GDEMU, got most of the library of games that il ever need and its working great.

Been doing a bunch of tests with online and running games on this thing and have had no complaints so far, except one.

Whenever i try to play WSB2K2 it boots up fine and get to the intro movie fine, but once i get past the intro movie i get some green matrix lines and the game crashes and freezes and have to manually turn of the DC.

Has anyone had any success? Im using the tosecdcus rip if that helps.

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: World Series Baseball 2K2 & GDEMU?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm

Is that a GDI or CDI format? GDI format tends not to cull any important data, whereas CDI formats sometimes do. I have a CDI of Sonic Adventure 2 which cut out the browser, so the DC resets back to BIOS if you select it

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:52 pm

Nope, all of the stuff on the GDEMU for me is GDI unless its a homebrew app ect.

Going to try and download another rip and see if that has any different results

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#4 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:59 am

Okay, figured it out.

So v1.000 (2001)(Sega)(US)[!][3S] simply crashes for some reason when on a GDEMU.

However if you get v1.000 (2001)(Sega)(NTSC)(US)[!][1S 51152] the game should work fine

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#5 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:49 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:Okay, figured it out.

So v1.000 (2001)(Sega)(US)[!][3S] simply crashes for some reason when on a GDEMU.

However if you get v1.000 (2001)(Sega)(NTSC)(US)[!][1S 51152] the game should work fine

So I stumbled upon this thread when I experienced the same issue with this game. I'm on an authentic GDEMU on the latest firmware (5.20.3 as of writing this).

I tried the specific TOSEC image you've shared here, but unfortunately not that one nor any other GDI of the game gets past the intro FMV.

Any thoughts?
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#6 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:11 pm

Nevermind! I actually managed to find two solutions:

1) Convert the modern bin/cue Redump rip to a GDEMU-friendly GDI.
2) Use the GDI on cdromance (of all places).

I tried every GDI of this game on every archive.org repo and all of them failed. Crazy that the cdromance one worked!

UPDATE: Unfortunately, all of the GDIs break when I try to extract and rebuild them with a disc art PVR (the original GD-ROM doesn't have one).
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam