Interview with Bleem! developer Randy Linden.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Interview with Bleem! developer Randy Linden.

Post#11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:47 pm

deluxux wrote:Thanks for the interview, really clears some things up how much of a bully $ony really is. I hope all Dreamcast and Bleem!Cast fans will boycott $ony and the upcoming PS5. (Buy an Android TV/Tablet and Cyboid instead)

I'm happy to know we aren't upsetting Mr. Linden by trying to expand, tribute and showcase the bleem!cast software.
I understand 200% why he was upset about it, first you get ripped off by sony and now even the Dreamcast fans that were testers are ripping you off leaking code.

I didn't think it was much surprise the fact that most of the games for sale on PlayStationNetwork also run in Bleem!

Yeah that is true, that code went on to be used for them to run all the PSX games for sure, and possibly even the PS2 Software emulated games on PS3. Anybody ever wonder why the PS3 emulated so MANY Sony games well? Sure it was not almost 100% like the early backwards compatible systems, but it was damn near CLOSE! Anybody who owns a Jailbroke PS3 has access to this internal emulator that was used for many PS2 classics on the PSN.

At least that settles it, he came out and said what many of us had thought over the years, myself included. Sony did use his Bleem in the PS3 at least. PS2 still had a PSX chip on board for those games. Still though, it felt like a kick to the nuts reading that part.

Oh well, we can move on now I guess, and be content with all the improvements made to Bleem over the years like with megavolt85's amazing Bleemshell menu that is feature packed, and then there are the retail bleem games that were hacked to skip disc check. I personally made a compatibility list with the help of the community back when I was a modorator over at Theisiozone back in the day.

http://web.archive.org/web/201808162256 ... =27&t=3665

Not only that, but japanese_cake is removing all protections from the retail discs, so the possibility exists to add those 3 disc's binaries to the Bleemshell menu as cores for increased compatibility. This means more compatible games with working FMV's actual real analog compatibility and we never know, someday maybe the possibility to have saves fully working on every working game we discover? I remain optimistic on the saves part, but the FMV's and analog worked on the games with disc check hacked.

Due to the fact that Bleem was written in 100% SH4 Assembly code, and had some extremely tough protections, If you would have told me 10 years ago that the retail bleem discs would have been working from a burnt CDR, let alone have as many developments, findings and improvements over the years as it has, I would not believe you. The fact that there is still so much left to discover with Bleemcast all these years later is pretty great. I just hope people like Megavolt, deluxux, and japanese-cake continue to help us make PSX games on Dreamcast an even more enjoyable experience for years to come.

colgate
Doom

Post#12 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 am

Why in the heck Sony owns the code? When did they buy Bleem?

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#13 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:46 am

colgate wrote:Why in the heck Sony owns the code? When did they buy Bleem?

I'd assume it has something to do with Randy getting hired by Sony to work on emulation stuff

deluxux wrote:I hope all Dreamcast and Bleem!Cast fans will boycott $ony and the upcoming PS5. (Buy an Android TV/Tablet and Cyboid instead)

It's a bit off topic but I still can't get over the PS5, with its incredibly stupid design and Sony's complete refusal to say its price even though they insist it's releasing by the end of 2020.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#14 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:16 am

In all seriousness, why after all these years hasn't the magical question been asked...What are the colors? The wrong people have been asking the questions. I hope the next interview, someone does their homework and ask the right question.

All credit to SMiTH for once again, bringing this up.

To note, asking the right questions also can bring into light a possible answer to help better understand the development...or possibly put an end to this mystery.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#15 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:58 am

I got my questions answered about the beta and the github page. I'm sure you could email him. Actually please do, you seem to be one of the more professional and approachable members here.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#16 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:53 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:In all seriousness, why after all these years hasn't the magical question been asked...What are the colors? The wrong people have been asking the questions. I hope the next interview, someone does their homework and ask the right question.

All credit to SMiTH for once again, bringing this up.

To note, asking the right questions also can bring into light a possible answer to help better understand the development...or possibly put an end to this mystery.

I'm sad you said I'm one of the "wrong people" LoL. You could be more polite next time ;)

I'm going to ask him your question. As soon I got the answer I'll post it here.
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#17 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 am

Me: Randy, how are you? Some people in a DC forum are getting crazy to do one last question haha. Do you think you can answer it?

It is about the Bleem beta, if you don't feel confortable to answer it, it's ok.

What is the difference between the Bleem Beta Colors? was it just to identify the test versions or was it about compatibility?

Randy:

During development we had a number of Dreamcast consoles. Each one had a different colour. Each bleemCast! beta was locked to only run on that particular machine... so the Black bleemCast! disc could only run on the Black Dreamcast Console.

This way if someone lost or stole one of the beta discs, it wouldn't work on any other Dreamcast.

If you look at the picture of me at E3 2000, you can see the DreamCast in the background has a Yellow dot -- that was the "Yellow Dreamcast" and only the Yellow bleemCast! Beta Disc would run on it.

I have also updated the interview with this question:

https://titangamestudios.com/2020/09/09 ... dy-linden/
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

megavolt85
Developer

Post#18 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:53 am

ha ha ha myth destroyed
although for any developer it was already obvious

Treamcaster
fire

Post#19 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Nowadays the PSX is emulated basically on every device, even on smartphones. One thing is clear, Sony is never going to release the source code. So, it's a shame that the Dreamcast is left out when it could have had the best emulator with graphic improvements and save support. I believe we have a thriving and thirsty community, willing to do anything to have this feature back. Why not reunite these two talented programmers and kickstart a newly branded emu? They accomplished it in a year, 20 years ago. With their work and experience since then, they could possibly do this in a couple of months...

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#20 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:37 pm

thank you neosnk.
well finally it is answered by the man himself.
my quest to have each color beta cracked has finally ended. :(
the only tinfoil left for me is whether or not XeroX was the leaker.
and who are The revolution gamers & the cross figure group & u2k?
:D