Review: Performance S Video Cable for Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Review: Performance S Video Cable for Dreamcast

Post#1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:25 am

performance.jpg
performance.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 6224 times

I know that VGA is usually the preferred video signal for Dreamcast, but I like playing on a nice big CRT which doesn't have inputs for that, and S Video is the next best thing. I've found that many off brand S Video cables have a checkerboard effect, an audio buzz, and just aren't much better looking than regular composite. The official Dreamcast S Video cable is expensive, and I didn't know of any good alternatives, so I took a gamble on a $10 cable by Performance.

The cable doesn't have any composite output, just an S Video plug and 2 RCA plugs for sound. Strangely, the S Video plug is colored yellow, but don't be fooled, as again there is no composite output on this cable, only S Video.

The picture is nice and clean with no dot crawl, much better than composite. There is no checkerboard effect to be found, this is "true" S Video and not composite coming out of an S Video plug. The sound is also good, with no audio buzz that you get on crappy cables.

Overall, the Performance S Video cable is good. If you're looking for an S Video cable for your Dreamcast, this one is recommended. If you're playing on a monitor or a flatscreen TV then you might as well just use VGA instead, but hopefully this will help anyone who was in the same boat as I was.

Here's a few samples using a capture card and this cable.
vmu.PNG

daytonausa.PNG

cvs.PNG

(Anyone who can guess all the games saved on my VMU above will win a grand prize of nothing)

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Re: Review: Performance S Video Cable for Dreamcast

Post#2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:34 am

Thanks for the screens! S-Video and composite cables together are known for being more likely to have significant checker boarding, as you implied. The video was nice. :D

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:27 am

ChristinaDreamcustDC wrote:Thanks for the screens! S-Video and composite cables together are known for being more likely to have significant checker boarding, as you implied. The video was nice. :D

Indeed, I had a cable like that for my original Xbox and it was terrible, with a very noticeable checkerboard and a loud audio buzz that made me not want to play at all.

AyeYoYoYOOO
Anarki

Post#4 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Same one I use.

It looks shockingly great thru the retroTink2x, into an mcable gaming edition, into smartTV.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#5 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:33 pm

heh, thanks a lot! just as I was wondering if there's a good dc s-video solution

price is right and you look out for the things that would bother me

maybe ill pick one up to use w my 14" CRT.

Dreamcast is the only system I have a digital solution for, DCDigital. So it's been hooked up to my HDTV exclusively. But maybe ill give it a try

and s-video to rt2x is a great idea! probably much better than the pound crap, etc.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#6 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:40 pm

areyareadyherewego wrote:heh, thanks a lot! just as I was wondering if there's a good dc s-video solution

price is right and you look out for the things that would bother me

maybe ill pick one up to use w my 14" CRT.

Dreamcast is the only system I have a digital solution for, DCDigital. So it's been hooked up to my HDTV exclusively. But maybe ill give it a try

and s-video to rt2x is a great idea! probably much better than the pound crap, etc.

Glad to hear it was helpful, nobody ever talks about DC S Video so I figured it would be useful to somebody.