Dreamcast can run a GTA 3 port ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
moon.sarito1
undertow

Dreamcast can run a GTA 3 port ?

Post#1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:26 pm

Apparently GTA 3 is going through the same thing that Super Mario 64 went through ( https://itrunsmario64.blogspot.com/p/do ... io-64.html )

It has already been ported to the Nintendo Switch, Wii U, PS Vita and apparently a port for the Nintendo 3DS is also a possibility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqe9nS4Vfwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A9AdsYdmhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPaUg_bCfI

Now it came to my mind if a Dreamcast port would be possible, after all, after all the game code is already on the internet.

Is Dreamcast powerful enough to handle a game like GTA?, To be honest I always dreamed of some 3D GTA on Dreamcast, it would be just incredible to see it come true.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast can run a GTA 3 port ?

Post#2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Graphically yes, memory-wise? Hell no. Dreamcast has 16mb RAM, good luck fitting a huge complex game like that on the DC without making serious concessions. Impossible? No, but probable? Also no. You need a full team of at least dozens or people, if not more to optimize something so large in scope. It was discussed to death after the source was created for the Switch. The post was here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13442

Driver 2 on the other hand was also reverse engineered, and there exists a new PC port which is starting to get mods added to it. Now you could have a port of that PSX game to the DC and have a lot more freedom to beef up the graphics with higher poly cars and better resolutions on the environment to give the DC a good open world car game where you can steal cars in 3D. Also, the physics are a hell of a lot better in Driver anyway. You can actually drift the cars which is great.

I made a thread about it here after it released.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13617

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#3 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 pm

It seems that not even the city of the super runabout game can be fully loaded on Dreamcast. It is divided into smaller sections as in MSR.

willis
letterbomb

Post#4 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 am

I would also like to see some people take on Driver 2 w/ mods! I think that would be more interesting in the long run as compared to GTA3 . Just for the simple fact the flexibility you would have when creating compared to limitations and compromises needed for GTA

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#5 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:35 am

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:It seems that not even the city of the super runabout game can be fully loaded on Dreamcast. It is divided into smaller sections as in MSR.

What you're saying makes no sense. Msr is a racing game with closed loop racing game. Super runabout is a sand box mission based games, it pieces are easily 25% if not more as big as the map in GTA 3. Even though GTA 3 takes a more non linear approach to exploring. Super runabout is more like an arcade game with a huge chunk of land. You can't compare it directly.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 am

I dream of a gta 3 dreamcast port.

Caspian
core

Post#7 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 am

When Unreal was released for the DC I read an interview of the head developer and he stated what an enormous challenge was to accommodate the game with the relatively small amount of RAM available. They pulled it off but it was their game, the team knew it inside and out and, as the professionals they are, they got paid to do it. So I think it could be done, but I am quite sure that it would take no less than the coordinated effort of a full assembly of professionals to do it. I also think that the end result would lack some features due to hard constraints, so even if ported, some people would debate on if the port is actually GT3 or not.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#8 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:38 am

Caspian wrote:When Unreal was released for the DC I read an interview of the head developer and he stated what an enormous challenge was to accommodate the game with the relatively small amount of RAM available. They pulled it off but it was their game, the team knew it inside and out and, as the professionals they are, they got paid to do it. So I think it could be done, but I am quite sure that it would take no less than the coordinated effort of a full assembly of professionals to do it. I also think that the end result would lack some features due to hard constraints, so even if ported, some people would debate on if the port is actually GT3 or not.

Unreal wasn't made with console in mind though. You got other Dreamcast games whose PC ports when you read the requirements need 64 to 128 mb of ram yet ran alot better and looked alot better than unreal on the Dreamcast. So that isn't a real marker, it could be that unreal isn't all that efficient to begin with , if I remember right they admit they only do a couple thousand polygons for the whole frame in the interview. We know for a fact other games accomplished a lot more.

The only reason I don't think this port will happen because it's a huge undertaking to rework it for DC.

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#9 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 am

For clarification, if memory serves me right, GTA 3 tries to load a lot of the models irrespective whether they are in the player's view or not.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:43 am

Good thing about the pvr and dreamcast is you dont have to load models off screen using VQ compressed textures you could get 64mb of them saved.. If written from the ground up not a port it could of been done for sure.. Way the hardware works compared to say the ps2 which has to render off screen we dont have to.. Which saves a heap of vram to start with the ps2 only has half the vram of the dreamcast.. Your talking system ram loading levels i dont think it's a major problem..

The major problem would be all happening on the screen at once.. You end up with a GTA3 with not a lot of cars on screen and not a lot of people it be more dead .. Openworld thing would be intact..