Can a fellow Dreamcast Rom hacker help somebody out?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
CHAL Gaming
shadow

Can a fellow Dreamcast Rom hacker help somebody out?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Ok, so has anybody heard of the dreamcast game "Wacky Races" before? i certainly have. it was my definitive childhood game, and quite possibly the first game i ever got. (more specifically the PS2 version, but that's not the point i'm trying to get at) I made this account specifically to request this from the dreamcast hacking community, because i found a bearly doccumented prototype of the game that was given out to magazines and the staff team so that they could take screenshots to go on the back of the box, in the manual, in magazines etc etc etc. but here's the thing... there are 3 worlds in this game with 5 diffrent gamemodes, the worlds being Snowfall Peaks, Wild Frontier and Redwood Valley. and the modes being Track Challenge, Wacky Cup, Golden Muttley, Battle Arena and Team 00 Knockout Challenge. so that's all fine and dandy... but for reasons that i really can't explain, every single sign in the game is forced to bring you to the redwood valley track challenge for no reason. and i think you can see why this is a problem. because this was a prototype, it featured a lot of early features... but i can't see most of them if it locks me into redwood valley track challenges! so my request is that somebody is to hack the file so that all the tracks are accessible. and please, don't spoil what's on there, i want to make a blind video playthrough myself.
Link to the prototype: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Video of me playing the Prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5rqt8 ... 2FHammMann
when it's been done, send a link to it in the replies.
I've heard good things about this community. please don't let me down. ;)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Can ANYBODY help me out? (reposting due to lack of replies)

Post#2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:44 am

Your links dont work for one being a proto type what makes you think it can run anything but the track it forces you to i could have a look and see but for now i cant download the files or look at the youtube link..

CHAL Gaming
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:40 am

ok let me fix that

Green Ranger
killer

Post#4 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:32 pm

CHAL Gaming wrote:so my request is that somebody is to hack the file so that all the tracks are accessible. and please, don't spoil what's on there, i want to make a blind video playthrough myself.

So you want someone to hack the game but NOT to reveal what they find? :?

CHAL Gaming wrote: I've heard good things about this community. please don't let me down.

Lol. No pressure right? :lol:

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:02 am

Here is what I know about this game (which is not much)...please note that I do not own this game so I have no experience with it.

WIKIPEDIA FACTS:
1. The game was released on Dreamcast one year prior to the PS2 version.
2. It is a remastered version of the PSX/Game Boy Color/Windows version.
3. Per Wikipedia, there seems to be no differences in the PS2 and DC versions.
4. There are ISO's of it out there but I am not going to download it being I'd rather buy it.
5. There are VMU saves that will unlock "stuff".
6. There are also codes you can use (list below per GameFaq):

CHEAT CODES:
All Abilities = BARGAINBASEMENT
All Cars = WACKYSPOILERS
All Tracks = WACKYGIVEAWAY
Super Difficult Mode = CRACKEDNAILS

RACE CODES:
1. First Place Finish = In championship mode when your car is in first at the start of the race press Start + Select + A + B.

2. Zero Lap Time = In trial mode when the flag is waved at the start of the race press Start + Select + A + B.

All that being said, there is no reason to "hack" or "mod" the game...based on your PS2 game play as listed above. Just buy the game off ebay...$29.99 including shipping.

ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dreamcast-Wack ... SwE95gAPkP
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

CHAL Gaming
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:36 am

dude... did you even read what i said? this isn't the full game, this is a press magazine prototype that locked all the stages to Redwood Valley.

CHAL Gaming
shadow

Re: Can a fellow Dreamcast Rom hacker help somebody out?

Post#7 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:27 am

wait, so does replying boost it back up in the topics?

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#8 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:42 am

Nope

CHAL Gaming
shadow

Post#9 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:23 am

don't mind me, just keeping this in the front page of general until my kight with his shining white steed comes... *Sigh*

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#10 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:27 pm

Better ask in other forums such as Romhacking or in the translation forums, before your shinny warrior qualifies you as spammer.

Or take the task of finding the secrets of the game yourself using an emulator with debugging options (nulldc) and a free hacking tool (cheat engine) and share your discoveries with the world, dear gentleman.

It will not be an easy task but if you are really interested in achieving that goal, it will be really fun, time consuming, sometimes exasperating, but entertaining when you find something

How to start ,where to start, what is the first thing to look for?
well those are the fun challenges that I will not take away from the pleasure of investigating on your own.

Have a lot of fun and don't forget to share your results, my fellow wacky knight