My Dreamcast Arcade Cabinet

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Sega1Dream
Donated

Re: My Dreamcast Arcade Cabinet

Post#11 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 am

I will admit there is an addiction to building these. I want to build a single player with Analog control functionality, so games like Shenmue and Resident evil can be played. In addition, I want to build a pinball machine from scratch.

With that being said, where to put them has been something I was worried about. Finally talked the wife in letting me build a 120 sqft shed in the backyard. "Man Cave" finally in the works. :lol:

DaiNew
undertow

Post#12 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:44 am

120sq ft.... That's not a shed that's another house yeah a man cave and a tolerant wife is absolutely essential if you plan on more than one arcade cab. We had a neo Geo MVS in our kitchen for many years which the wife tried to pretend wasn't there. It justified a house move with a decent garage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 am

I'll chime in as well, I'm modding an arcade1up to be a Virtua Fighter cabinet. It's powered by an old PC with various emulators and ought to be able to run almost every version of Virtua Fighter pretty well outside of a couple glitches in MAME emulation of VF1 and Demul emulation of Naomi 2 VF4 - though I have various console ports on saturn and PS2 of those titles that can be emulated well, so the glitches aren't a big deal.

The guts, controls, software setup etc is basically already done, at this point, mostly just need to finish the custom graphics which are designed to follow the style of a US Virtua Fighter 1 cab with a couple modifications (ie., 6 button street fighter layout instead of 3 buttons per player, modifications to better fit the slightly different shape of an arcade1up cab, no mirrored marquee because that significantly jacks up the printing cost for some reason).

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#14 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:57 am

Sega1Dream wrote:Nice work on the Arcade! Apparently pandemic gave you and I the same idea. I decided to build an arcade from scratch. This is 100% built from the ground up and is pure Dreamcast. Just above the control board there is a 8" screen that is used to select games. Using a raspberry Pi, the screen, controls, and coin slot are turned on/off. This allows game play to be charged (if I want to). It's really just a timer that turns the controller on/off. I figure I might actually do a YouTube showing this is all it's glory and explanation when I am all done.

I assume yours took longer then expected too? I thought a couple month, but almost a year later. Lol

very nice setup! I like how you have wired the joysticks and button into dreamcast controller pcb. allows you to use the vibration packs and vmu.
8 inch screen is really unique. why not use monitor screen to select games?

took me almost a year for mine also. modding the two systems, and artwork took the most time. I'm using zero delay encoders with split ps2/ps3 cords going to adapters. ps3 cord goes to brook adapter for DC. ps2 cords go to xbox adapter.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#15 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:10 am

DaiNew wrote:
Sega1Dream wrote:Nice work on the Arcade! Apparently pandemic gave you and I the same idea. I decided to build an arcade from scratch. This is 100% built from the ground up and is pure Dreamcast. Just above the control board there is a 8" screen that is used to select games. Using a raspberry Pi, the screen, controls, and coin slot are turned on/off. This allows game play to be charged (if I want to). It's really just a timer that turns the controller on/off. I figure I might actually do a YouTube showing this is all it's glory and explanation when I am all done.

I assume yours took longer then expected too? I thought a couple month, but almost a year later. Lol
That looks fantastic. Again, you'll get to look back on the pandemic and think "at least I got a Dreamcast arcade cabinet out of it" .

Do you guys tinker with any other arcade cabs? My brother and I have 4-5 that we repair. Picked up a 1978 space invaders can for £200 that started it off and now we have Centipede, 2 play choice cabs and a couple of others in the works.

Be interested in where you keep them as well? Might turn the garage into a mini arcade one day...

I just have this self made cabinet. I will make more. I am putting all mine in the basement. trying to make a arcade "for the kids" lol since they have been at home online schooling during pandemic. I have all these old console that were collecting dust and saw this as way of bringing them new life. I wanted to mod them all and maybe stick them inside cabinet and give the kids something to do. This gave me a hobby to share with my son cuz he helps me put them together. Then we pick a game to play through. We played thru xenocrisis the other night.

I want to make a cabinet out of modded wii next. with sensor bar I can have gun games on there.

DaiNew
undertow

Post#16 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:32 am

Dark - I've never actually used MAME in a cab. We always try and track down original hardware and PCBs which takes a while, is a bit hit and miss and costs a fair bit. But the end product is pretty cool when you get things back up and running. That said, a small MAME cab that can play a load of different games is an amazing idea for the man cave. Might give it some thought.

Dubcity - awesome you can make a cab/play a game through like that with your kids. Mine are way to small at the moment but when they're older I hope they'll be keen to go to the garage and play some arcade games. Best I've had so far is my 3yo spamming fire on metal slug while I move about

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#17 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:34 am

Sega1Dream wrote:I will admit there is an addiction to building these. I want to build a single player with Analog control functionality, so games like Shenmue and Resident evil can be played. In addition, I want to build a pinball machine from scratch.

With that being said, where to put them has been something I was worried about. Finally talked the wife in letting me build a 120 sqft shed in the backyard. "Man Cave" finally in the works. :lol:

man that would be awesome!

I have pinball setup I'm working on also. going to use mini pc with vertical monitor and arcade stick. atgames pinball machine looks dope and might save some time.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#18 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 am

dark wrote:I'll chime in as well, I'm modding an arcade1up to be a Virtua Fighter cabinet. It's powered by an old PC with various emulators and ought to be able to run almost every version of Virtua Fighter pretty well outside of a couple glitches in MAME emulation of VF1 and Demul emulation of Naomi 2 VF4 - though I have various console ports on saturn and PS2 of those titles that can be emulated well, so the glitches aren't a big deal.

The guts, controls, software setup etc is basically already done, at this point, mostly just need to finish the custom graphics which are designed to follow the style of a US Virtua Fighter 1 cab with a couple modifications (ie., 6 button street fighter layout instead of 3 buttons per player, modifications to better fit the slightly different shape of an arcade1up cab, no mirrored marquee because that significantly jacks up the printing cost for some reason).

sounds awesome man

I would have used a original vf3 marquee but it looks garbage. like virtua fighter logo on top of ocean wtf lol. and virtua fighter 3 cabinet artwork is pretty non existent. so I made my own. look at all these pics compared to mine. there isn't even one standard cabinet sega used. all different with practically no artwork on them.
Attachments
vf3 06.jpeg
vf3 05.jpeg
vf3 04.jpeg
vf3 04.jpeg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
vf3 03.jpeg
vf3 02.jpeg
vf3 02.jpeg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
vf3 01.png

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#19 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:53 am

@Sega1Dream

I like the cupholders idea on your cabinet

I have some universal cup holders to install on mine but haven't decided where on the side to put them yet

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#20 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:01 pm

dark wrote:I'll chime in as well, I'm modding an arcade1up to be a Virtua Fighter cabinet. It's powered by an old PC with various emulators and ought to be able to run almost every version of Virtua Fighter pretty well outside of a couple glitches in MAME emulation of VF1 and Demul emulation of Naomi 2 VF4 - though I have various console ports on saturn and PS2 of those titles that can be emulated well, so the glitches aren't a big deal.

now that I think about it there is rumor arcade1up has a vf cab coming

https://www.segadriven.com/2020/08/mult ... ks-online/
Attachments
VFArcade.jpg