My Dreamcast Arcade Cabinet

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dubcity
Super Sonic

My Dreamcast Arcade Cabinet

Post#1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:54 am

started this project when coronavirus locked us in the house

cabinet has custom virtua fighter artwork
dreamcast and original xbox inside. dreamcast has gdemu collection with 325 games. xbox has coinops ninja with all older systems.
Both systems are connected to joysticks at same time by using ps2/ps3 adapters. I can switch between them by turning one system off and other on and switching signal on monitor. I can't have both systems turned on same time or will short joystick encoders. overall very proud of how it tunred out. I have a few things left to do like I want to make a bezel with fighter moves on it. I have to install controller extensions and ports on the front for 3 and 4 player.

excuse the mess of my basement its a work in progress cleaning it out lol
and excuse my lack of cable management I will be cleaning that up too lol
Attachments
VF Cab 06.jpg
VF Cab 04.jpg
VF Cab 07.jpg
VF Cab 11.jpg
VF Cab 10.jpg
VF Cab 02.jpg
VF Cab 03.jpg
VF Cab 12.jpg

DaiNew
undertow

Re: My Dreamcast Arcade Cabinet

Post#2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:16 am

That's really impressive. The artwork is fantastic. Great job

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#3 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:32 am

That's a sexy machine

mstar
Doom

Post#4 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 am

Ok, wow - that looks really awesome.

Did you fully custom create that cabinet or is it a gutted one?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:03 am

I really love how you did this project using 2 of the world's best gaming consoles.

You see so many people go with the PC or PI route but to me that would break easier, be harder to setup, not as idiot/drunk/kid proof and nowhere near as badass with as many good games as this set-up can handle.

Really a massive inspiration always wanted a DIY home arcade. This is how you do it correctly!!
Friends and Family are going to enjoy this for years to come.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#6 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:55 am

mstar wrote:Ok, wow - that looks really awesome.

Did you fully custom create that cabinet or is it a gutted one?

the wood kit is from microcenter. artwork was made by myself with a little from guys over at www.arcadegraphic.net

joysticks and buttons bought from amazon. tv and consoles I had laying around.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#7 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:08 am

deluxux wrote:I really love how you did this project using 2 of the world's best gaming consoles.

You see so many people go with the PC or PI route but to me that would break easier, be harder to setup, not as idiot/drunk/kid proof and nowhere near as badass with as many good games as this set-up can handle.

Really a massive inspiration always wanted a DIY home arcade. This is how you do it correctly!!
Friends and Family are going to enjoy this for years to come.

thanks bro!

I could have put a pi in here cuz I have one set up with a build I put together. I might use that in combination with something else later. I saw all these arcade 1up/raspberry pi videos on Youtube and said damn let me try that. I'm a bigger guy so 1up is small to me and my pi 3b ain't powerful enough to play many DC games.

That's when I looked at my Dreamcast and said that would be unique. Being a system filled with arcade hits it just seemed right. OG Xbox is basically Dreamcast 2 in my eyes so they are perfect pair. Now that I got Coinops with all the old systems on it it is just like a raspberry pi but with Xbox games too.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#8 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:48 am

Nice work on the Arcade! Apparently pandemic gave you and I the same idea. I decided to build an arcade from scratch. This is 100% built from the ground up and is pure Dreamcast. Just above the control board there is a 8" screen that is used to select games. Using a raspberry Pi, the screen, controls, and coin slot are turned on/off. This allows game play to be charged (if I want to). It's really just a timer that turns the controller on/off. I figure I might actually do a YouTube showing this is all it's glory and explanation when I am all done.

I assume yours took longer then expected too? I thought a couple month, but almost a year later. Lol
Attachments
PXL_20210131_034852819.jpg
PXL_20210124_231526366.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20210125_044109444.jpg
PXL_20210131_035011650.jpg

DaiNew
undertow

Post#9 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:55 am

Sega1Dream wrote:Nice work on the Arcade! Apparently pandemic gave you and I the same idea. I decided to build an arcade from scratch. This is 100% built from the ground up and is pure Dreamcast. Just above the control board there is a 8" screen that is used to select games. Using a raspberry Pi, the screen, controls, and coin slot are turned on/off. This allows game play to be charged (if I want to). It's really just a timer that turns the controller on/off. I figure I might actually do a YouTube showing this is all it's glory and explanation when I am all done.

I assume yours took longer then expected too? I thought a couple month, but almost a year later. Lol
That looks fantastic. Again, you'll get to look back on the pandemic and think "at least I got a Dreamcast arcade cabinet out of it" .

Do you guys tinker with any other arcade cabs? My brother and I have 4-5 that we repair. Picked up a 1978 space invaders can for £200 that started it off and now we have Centipede, 2 play choice cabs and a couple of others in the works.

Be interested in where you keep them as well? Might turn the garage into a mini arcade one day...

DaiNew
undertow

Post#10 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:58 am

DaiNew wrote:
Sega1Dream wrote:Nice work on the Arcade! Apparently pandemic gave you and I the same idea. I decided to build an arcade from scratch. This is 100% built from the ground up and is pure Dreamcast. Just above the control board there is a 8" screen that is used to select games. Using a raspberry Pi, the screen, controls, and coin slot are turned on/off. This allows game play to be charged (if I want to). It's really just a timer that turns the controller on/off. I figure I might actually do a YouTube showing this is all it's glory and explanation when I am all done.

That looks fantastic. Again, you'll get to look back on the pandemic and think "at least I got a Dreamcast arcade cabinet out of it" .

Do you guys tinker with any other arcade cabs? My brother and I have 4-5 that we repair. Picked up a 1978 space invaders can for £200 that started it off and now we have Centipede, 2 play choice cabs and a couple of others in the works.

Be interested in where you keep them as well? Might turn the garage into a mini arcade one day...

As a follow up to that - I'd love to find a sega cab of some sort at some point. Particularly with a Naomi board in it. Haven't come across many in the wild here yet (in Wales) but it'll happen one day in sure.