Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which way do you play games on your Dreamcast?

Optical Discs (GD-R/CD-R)
43%
Optical Disc Emulators (GDemu/USB GD-Rom/M.O.D.E.)
51%
Dreamshell (HDD/Serial Port)
7%
Total votes: 120

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

Post#31 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:46 pm

I used to try new games out via burned discs and then purchase the GD-Rom if I liked it. I value original DC discs because CDIs aren't 1:1 re-creations unlike burned games for other systems. However, with the rising cost of games and a waning personal interest in collecting physical media I'm thinking more and more about an ODE. I like that some new games are seeing both digital and physical releases. For me, a free digital copy with the purchase of a physical copy and a reduced price digital only option seems ideal.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Blankman84
noob

Post#32 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:51 pm

I have been ripping my games to as card to use the GDEMU. I wish I had known about this option sooner. The SD card runs faster than the rom and my Dreamcast runs cool with the other modifications I have done.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#33 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 pm

we have 50 votes so far. I know we can get more than that.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#34 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:23 pm

I use a clone GDemu here. It's just way more convenient of an option; I don't have to worry about the condition of discs, having space for them, and/or paying exorbitant prices for rare titles. I'll just make sure I do a backup of all my data once every year or two and I'll be set.

Cyrano_de_Tejas
shadow

Post#35 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:09 pm

I'm pretty much old school with my playing, discs and original hardware all the way. I even keep to playing on CRT's to maintain a somewhat classic feel.

Some of my joy with Dreamcast has come from the collecting side of things, the hunt for rare discs and the work to get deals. I also love physical media though I admit it is much more efficient and cheaper to go emu route, especially with the scarcity of the games.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#37 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:35 pm

I know there are more people who haven't voted yet.

joe1138
noob

Post#38 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:38 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:I was a stubborn CD/GD user until I could muster up for a clone GDemu, and it was three months of gaming bliss.

I was a pretty staunch physical copy-only gamer for a long while there but when COVID hit and I had time to go through my backlog, I decided convenience outweighed a physical collection.

Sold off nearly all of my DC and Saturn discs and funded a Satiator and MODE for my Saturn and Dreamcast respectively. Haven't looked back since. I'll never own some of the high dollar games and it just killed me not being able to play those titles. Not a fan of running games off PC emulators so being able to load up the entire library on an actual Dreamcast is so nice. Love it.

Green Ranger
killer

Post#39 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:13 pm

dubcity wrote:I know there are more people who haven't voted yet.

Sounds like you're hoping for Optical Disc Emulators to overtake Optical Discs in the polls? :lol:

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#40 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:23 am

Green Ranger wrote:
dubcity wrote:I know there are more people who haven't voted yet.

Sounds like you're hoping for Optical Disc Emulators to overtake Optical Discs in the polls? :lol:

Lol no I'm good with whatever the numbers are. I said earlier that I expect gd-rom users to outnumber ode's. It's the low vote number that raises my eyebrows lol. I just know there are many more DC users in the wild than we think. That's my opinion after looking at other forums, YouTube video comments, torrent sites, discord channels. So I guess no one wants to plant their flag.
Last edited by dubcity on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.