Virtua Fighter 4 Dreamcast....It would have been possible with enough I+D?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
xaeroxcore
fire

Virtua Fighter 4 Dreamcast....It would have been possible with enough I+D?

Post#1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:41 am

Now that Force Five is finally on DC, we have the closest VF4/Tekken 4 DC Bootleg. Of course the canceled Atomiswave game, that wasn´t even meant to be a AAA title, is behind to those PS2 titles and even behind SC and DOA 2 on DC....but Force Five make some interesting tricks with lighting, backgrounds (with even 3D characters on the back), and textures....And it got me thinking about how an hypothetic VF 4 would look on DC...Did AM2 managed to do something apart from the VF4 Passport on DC? I would love play VF 4 on DC someday....May be with enough money it would have been possible on DC?

Edit: i´ve posted this on a few other forums, because i won´t stop until i can find more answers!

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Virtua Fighter 4 Dreamcast....It would have been possible with enough I+D?

Post#2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 am

xaeroxcore wrote:Now that Force Five is finally on DC, we have the closest VF4/Tekken 4 DC Bootleg. Of course the canceled Atomiswave game, that wasn´t even meant to be a AAA title, is behind to those PS2 titles and even behind SC and DOA 2 on DC....but Force Five make some interesting tricks with lighting, backgrounds (with even 3D characters on the back), and textures....And it got me thinking about how an hypothetic VF 4 would look on DC...Did AM2 managed to do something apart from the VF4 Passport on DC? I would love play VF 4 on DC someday....May be with enough money it would have been possible on DC?

Edit: i´ve posted this on a few other forums, because i won´t stop until i can find more answers!

Well depends what do you want. Can you maintain the gameplay of vf4 100% on the Dreamcast yes? Absolutely. Graphically it should be able to maintain a very similar look in lighting ( though number of light source would have be downgraded, always heard vf4 Naomi 2 used like 6 light sources) and textures. The ps2 being more powerful still couldn't do a 1 to 1 since it's so different, took different approaches . The character models where remodeled, lighting was redone, IAM not even sure if ps2 can do specular highlights because for some reason they replaced that basic effect for environment map texture to fake it. People don't seem to realize how different both versions were, even the Evo ps2 version wasn't an upgrade like ppl think as much as just a tweak in the art to make it look better.

I think a DC version would look more faithful because of the similar hardware just that complexity will have to be chopped off.
From what I understand doa 2 might be the most optimized game for the Dreamcast, I have no hope in am2 that am2 itself would be able to reach or outdo it. They just didn't seem on point during the Dreamcast era like they were during the Saturn era. Think about this, they needed Naomi 2 to achieve Virtua fighter 4 the way it was , look at their port of fighting vipers 2 for DC, worse than what genki did for vf3. Look what team ninja was able to accomplish on the DC, imagine if they had access to Naomi 2.

Ps2 Evo version:

Naomi 2 version:

Edit: I feel there is more similarities in how the textures and lighting look on from force five and vf4 due to similar hardware compared to vf4 ps2 vs Naomi 2

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:19 pm

I like Force Five but I don't think it's comparable to VF4 in terms of graphics. I agree the gameplay could probably be replicated well on DC but the character models, backgrounds, texture quality and lighting would all need to be simplified. Whether this could be done and still look great is up to the artists. If VF4 could be on par with Dead or Alive 2's graphics, I think it still would have looked incredible at the time, especially through a vga box.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Well, maybe we could mod another game to use as a donor to at least do model swaps from PS2 version of game? I know recently Naomi games were hacked to load in new models, so it seems highly probable we could see similar on the DC now with more games. As for replicating a custom move set from VF4 characters in this game, eh not sure how difficult that would be. I have seen so much done in other console communities and a few things on DC it might be doable. Levels would be cool to see as well.

Just look at this progress adding custom models to Naomi version of HOTD2.

aldair
Metallic

Post#6 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
xaeroxcore wrote:Now that Force Five is finally on DC, we have the closest VF4/Tekken 4 DC Bootleg. Of course the canceled Atomiswave game, that wasn´t even meant to be a AAA title, is behind to those PS2 titles and even behind SC and DOA 2 on DC....but Force Five make some interesting tricks with lighting, backgrounds (with even 3D characters on the back), and textures....And it got me thinking about how an hypothetic VF 4 would look on DC...Did AM2 managed to do something apart from the VF4 Passport on DC? I would love play VF 4 on DC someday....May be with enough money it would have been possible on DC?

Well depends what do you want. Can you maintain the gameplay of vf4 100% on the Dreamcast yes? Absolutely. Graphically it should be able to maintain a very similar look in lighting ( though number of light source would have be downgraded, always heard vf4 Naomi 2 used like 6 light sources) and textures. The ps2 being more powerful still couldn't do a 1 to 1 since it's so different, took different approaches . The character models where remodeled, lighting was redone, IAM not even sure if ps2 can do specular highlights because for some reason they replaced that basic effect for environment map texture to fake it. People don't seem to realize how different both versions were, even the Evo ps2 version wasn't an upgrade like ppl think as much as just a tweak in the art to make it look better.

I think a DC version would look more faithful because of the similar hardware just that complexity will have to be chopped off.
From what I understand doa 2 might be the most optimized game for the Dreamcast, I have no hope in am2 that am2 itself would be able to reach or outdo it. They just didn't seem on point during the Dreamcast era like they were during the Saturn era. Think about this, they needed Naomi 2 to achieve Virtua fighter 4 the way it was , look at their port of fighting vipers 2 for DC, worse than what genki did for vf3. Look what team ninja was able to accomplish on the DC, imagine if they had access to Naomi 2.

Ps2 Evo version:

Naomi 2 version:

Edit: I feel there is more similarities in how the textures and lighting look on from force five and vf4 due to similar hardware compared to vf4 ps2 vs Naomi 2

This game on ps2 is very good!

beanboy
Wazza

Post#7 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Wow! The naomi 2 version of VF4 really looks good. Just as expected. :)

And there is VF4 Final Tuned also.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Just think if sega keep going we might got a dreamcast 2 with the power of naomi2

Take a look at the super low res ps2 textures on the floor and others places it's very cut back no where close to the naomi verison..

beanboy
Wazza

Post#9 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Yeah, the textures on the floor look really low resolution. The same with the 3d models. That Naomi 2 was way ahead of PS2 technology.

Even the Akira model in the naomi 2 version shown above, literally blows away and looks more realistic, than the Akira model in the PS2 version of VF4. That naomi 2 was really super impressive back then. Even PS2 couldn't match it. Its sad that there wasn't a sega console, using that naomi 2 tech inside of it.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#10 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:04 am

Oh, I forgot to mention, the buildings in the arcade version, look way more detailed too. I'm curious to know the polycount of the buildings, and stages in the arcade version of VF4. :)